Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

More birds arriving soon

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Avian Thunder II, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

Spag, 1GH, & all...........
    Sorry for the slow response; did a little traveling over the holidays, so I didn't check the "fuge." You chaps, and everyone else in most of Illinois is being victumized by the weather. There seem to be lots of Mallards above Springfield (approx. Rt 36), and without the snow cover (6-8 inches), they ain't gonna move south. They have plenty of food, and roost water since the warm weather has opened many small ponds, marshes, etc.
    For my last prediction of the season, and the first for 2004, I'd GUESS (no criteria for this prediction) you will see bunches of Mallards on the 8th or 9th of January for better shooting for the last week of the season. The real concern is a polar blast with 6" of snow that dumps the "thermo" into the minus digit region, and causes all waterfowl (ducks and geese) to overfly southern Illinois. Currently, I'm hammering the giant Canadas hunting in one-sweat**** weather on rainy and overcast days. Scouting is the key; if you find where they are gathering carbohydrates (corn) you can fill out in a hurry. Spag, if you get bored, come up and hunt with me. Best wishes to all for a safe and happy new year, and 2004. Above all, enjoy your days in the field; we are fortunate to have generous seasons.