More bow lift?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Tide14, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Tide14

Tide14 New Member

I have a 14 foot High Tide boat. It has a 1997 4 cylinder 40 hp Mercury with 13 pitch vengeance prop and a 4 inch Vance manual jackplate. At wide open throttle and optimum trim I’m only getting 37-39 mph. The jackplate is at it lowest setting because the boat wants to porpoise and will only allow me to trim up a very small amount or none at all if I raise the jackplate. The only gear in the boat is myself 190 lbs, 6 gallons of gas, and one battery. The problem that I’m having is there is just too much boat in the water it’s running too flat. The question I’m asking is if there is anything I can do to get the nose to fly so I can get more speed. Props? Motor Height?

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

39mph with 40hp out of a 4ft hull is pretty good

3. Rabbit Sheriff

Rabbit Sheriff Refuge Member

I am having the same issue. A lot of it is the hull design of the boat. I have the 1503 High Tide with a 4 stroke 40 hp Mercury. I have moved all the weight I can to the front but still can't trim much. I am thinking about adding pods during the off season.

4. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

Move all weight to front, and possibly trim tabs on rear. I know tabs sound dumb on a 14 foot boat but would help knock out the porpoise.

freefall likes this.
  5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Might check your hull for a hook ahead of transom. Hook usually starts at transom and runs forward. Try putting a straight edge on bottom of hull. Any gap will show up between hull and straight edge. On some boats the hook can be pushed out, but they usually come back. Hooks will make boat run bow heavy. If no hook is detected trim tabs may help a little.

JP likes this.
  6. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

If you can't raise the bow why are you moving the weight forward ?

7. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

From what he is describing, it isn't a problem with being able to raise the bow as much as it is not being able to trim the motor up when running at speed. There is a set up problem with the hull and motor or too much weight in the back of the boat. Moving the weight to the front (even with a larger tank or a couple of sand bags) will help some. Trim tabs may help to keep it from rocking up and down as well.
    When set up correctly, he should be able to trim the motor up quite a bit when running at speeds.
    I am not gonna say that my boat is set up perfect by any means, but in an 1860 center console with a 70 hp Yamaha, I am able to trim the motor up almost to the point of the prop chewing air. I do have two large batteries and a 15 gallon tank in mounted just behind the front deck and occasionally have an ice chest tied down on the bow.
    The hook issue mentioned can also cause a lot of problems with the ride of the boat. It will take some investigating and trial and error to find the solution to the problem..

8. Tide14

Tide14 New Member

I am able to trim the motor up quite a bit when the jack plate is down. I can even trim it up until the prop is catching air but I need to get the bow up out of the water in order to get more speed. The boat doesn’t have a hook I used the straight edge trick to check for that. I guess I’ll just have to play with the motor height and props to find the right setup.

9. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Good info^^^

My 1648 Crestliner with a 40 Mercury 3cyl and myself took around a 160lbs forward of the mid seat to calm the bow down. After adding the weight I was able to trim up farther and pick up speed to the point that there was only about 2 feet of hull in the water. In the end I went with a lower rake prop, so I wouldn't have to carry the extra weight.

10. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

you've got a dog of a boat..... some boats are poorly designed...period.... some boats will never get on plane as the are displacement hulls ( not saying yours is one)..... but its just the mere fact, the boat is a bad design..... this really isn't a duck hunting issue as you said the boat was empty....and you want MORE speed...40 isn't enough!!!!! ha ha.......are you running a river??? put weight up front.... it may help with the porposing, but the motor will still lift the bow.... and you should be able to trim until blowout