Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

More Ducks

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Blue Duck, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Even though the weather has been really mild there are more ducks around now, then there were a week ago. Each time I drive around the lake there are more ducks then before. Should be a pretty good opener.

2. idux

idux Senior Refuge Member

Heard Sunday morning temperture is going to be mid 20's. That should get some birds staging.

3. bbpheasant

bbpheasant Senior Refuge Member

I've been dusting the cobwebs out of my gun and my swing on quail out at Ted Trueblood WMA in Grandview. The upper pond near the Grandview bridge is FULL of mallards. Missed a couple of shots on quail, flushing at my feet even, watching the hundreds of greenheads take off and land. Still haven't seen much activity on the snake near Bruneau except a couple of large flocks of Canadas.

------------------
    Duckbuster
    "Let the steel fly"

4. IDBrian

IDBrian Senior Refuge Member

I have been seeing a lot of mallards also. I have two fields scouted out for the youth hunt this weekend. One of them has 400-500 mallards feeding in it. They come in flocks of 10-50 all evening long. They gotta be coming off the snake somewhere.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

bbpheasant, how is the quail hunting this year. I usually try to get down that way but the fire season set me back this year. If I get down that way for ducks maybe I can wack a few upland birds too.

6. bbpheasant

bbpheasant Senior Refuge Member

Blue Duck,
    Quail numbers seem better than last year. The only problem is hunting pressure on the WMAs. They get smart real fast. I've been out twice now and have bagged 13 birds. I'm heading to Birds of Prey along the snake, west of Grandview, this weekend. Hopefully, it hasn't had as many hunters. If you hunt ducks along the snake near Bruneau (CJ Strike area), you'll definately see pheasants, quail, some chukar, and some partridge. Good Luck!

------------------
    Duckbuster
    "Let the steel fly"