More Moose than North Dakota can Handle ?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Nov 30, 2017.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

More moose than North Dakota can handle?

Residents of Lansford, North Dakota have a rather unusual complaint: there are too many moose in their town. This week, annoyed townsfolk gathered at a North Dakota Game and Fish Department (NDGFD) District 2 Advisory Board meeting to air their grievance about the large ungulates taking over the region.

“There’s way too many moose. They are in our yards and my wife can’t walk on the roads,” said one attendee, a longtime resident of the town nestled close to the Canadian border. Other attendees proposed giving preference for moose tags to local hunters; however, moose tags are a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in North Dakota and, while coveted by hunters, difficult to draw, according to The Bemidji Pioneer.

It would also create an unfair advantage for favored applicants.

Lansford isn’t unique in its moose over abundance. Across the state, moose populations are on the rise.

“Moose are fantastically prolific animals. Moose in North Dakota do very well,” said Casey Anderson, assistant chief of NDGFD’s wildlife division. “From what we are seeing we’ll probably have more tags next year.”

Also new for next year? Hopefully a speedier lottery process.

“We are looking at a change in our lottery system to cut down on the time it takes to process applications. We are proposing that all lottery participants do so online. That will allow us to get the results out much quicker,” said NDGFD Deputy Director Scott Peterson.

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Shot mine just north of there. The main thing is they want an easier draw because they're locals and they're not going to get it so though still end up being ticked off. They're biggest concern should be whether or not we even have a hunting season in a couple years considering this type of moose is about to be put on the endangered species list.

3. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Lansford is hardly nestled close to the Canadian border hahaha. Also the guy should be more worried about his wife walking and driving through all the potholes on those crappy roads the town has.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

All those crappy roads? There is less than 20 streets in the whole town.

5. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Yes and they are almost all crap. I live 15 minutes from there and I am there at least once a week.