MORE Obamacare nightmares...

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by stevena198301, Aug 10, 2016.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

And then there YOU went injecting facts...

API and pintail2222 like this.
  2. stevena198301

Welp... Just got my cost breakdown of my benefits this week (open enrollment). Beginning Jan 2018, I will begin paying $394/bi-weekly ($364 is for health insurance) for health care and dental and vision. Yippie! So, now I'm paying over $10K/year for premiums. This doesn't include what my employer contributes (not sure what that number is). Any of y'all got your new bennies enrollment breakdowns yet?

3. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to America.

4. stevena198301

Indeed....

5. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

153 biweekly employee and spouse. Deductible at 1,000/2,000 and annual out of pocket 4,000. You have to give a bigger picture then just the contribution number. If you have a low deductible, on a family plan, and low annual out of pocket and co-insurance, then your contribution may not be too bad at all.

I Think your healthcare premium is around 8,700 per year? Do you just have two contributions per month? If you think it's a bad rate, maybe check the private market and drop from the employer plan.

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Great idea Eel. Ill pay $1500 next year per month for 3 of us for a useless 60 40 bronze plan in the private market. God knows I can't afford a silver or Gold plan, cuz I'm dumb enough to work and not cheat on my taxes. The good part of my private plan is, after I pay my $18000 in premiums, and if I actually use my affordable care act insurance and meet my individual deduction of $6500, I will have paid a smooth $24500 before I see a penny of benefit. Now I know you are happy because of your pre existing condition, but how do you think I feel, or the many thousands of us who are getting absolutely screwed by the ACA? I could probably retire next year with the money I have saved except for one minor little detail. No one told me to plan for health care to be more than a house payment with zero benefit for the money spent.

7. eel river

Thank you. See Stevena, you appear to have a pretty good deal with your plan.

Now Dek, I don't know about your situation, but it seems you might be in a position to pay the penalty and get a major med type coverage. Your costs seem ridiculously high and in the future you might see some reasoning to vote for a Bernie type approach to healthcare.
    Now your comment is interesting concerning the cost being more then your house payment. Actually, you are articulating the problem here in this country. Many people, if not the majority, don't look at their personal health and manage it like an asset. For some stupid reason, people seem to want be more accountable to keeping their house nice and having other nice toys and such then taking care of how they eat, how they stay fit and such. Instead, they smoke, drink excessively, are way overweight and on and on. Then those folks want cheap healthcare (not pointing at you at all) and cause the costs to skyrocket for everyone. Actually, as a persons most important asset, health probably should cost the most because it gives the best ROI throughout a persons lifetime.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. stevena198301

To elaborate... My plan is an Advantage plan, with a $3000 deductible/per person, on top of that $364/bi-weekly. After I meet my annual deductible, insurance pays 80/20. I have checked into a private plan. From what I gathered, the difference would be about 10% higher (talking premiums here), if I went private. That is also a better plan though...

9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

What I want is what I had 6 years ago. Very good coverage at a price I could afford. I'd be MORE than happy to pay a bit extra to cover pre-existing condition help for folks like yourself. You remember the speel, if you like your DR you can keep your DR, blah ,blah, blah. There are not 3 people in this country who don't pay for their own insurance that undestand how screwed up it is. You said pay the penalty and get major med coverage? Again, you have no clue what you are talking about. No such thing. My frickin' $1500 per month is the CHEAPEST plan available! All those fat lazy people you mention have way better FREE Silver and Gold plans than I have. For all of you non believers here is some homework for you. Go to the Covered CA website, preview plans. Put in 95630 as a zip code. Put in a family of 3, age 59, 59 , 24. Put in 100K income which will put you above a subsidy. It is the family income, all 3 people combined. Next click see results, continue, preview plans, skip, and skip again. Now sit back and see for yourself how the ACA really is if you have to pay for it yourself. It is absolutley crippling for anyone like me. For giggles go back and lower the income to say $60K. Free Heath care buddy, payed for by yours trully. There is no subject that can **** me off faster than anyone talking about how great the ACA is. As soon as I hear someone say that I know they are ignorant, stupid or a liar.

10. eel river

I hope you have an annual out of pocket max.