More on the Tamron 150-600

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

2. boondoggle

boondoggle Elite Refuge Member

So, have you bought one yet?

3. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

Thanks what I'm wondering? I'm sure he's got that kinda change in the floor board of his truck. Guarded by his attack dog of course.

4. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

Dizzy & Steve, you are giving me hope. I have been putting off getting a 500 or 600 because, I despise tripods. They are terribly static. For me the joy of waterfowl photography is the running, gunning, sneaking, belly crawling after birds. Like yesterday, I never would have got "the shot" hauling a tripod & 500L around. BUT ... also I miss so many shots because, I can't get the reach or quality. This is sounding like the perfect lens for me. What I'm looking for is a side by side comparison of a 400L 5.6 with a 1.4x at 560mm and this Tamron at 560mm.

I haven't squeezed the trigger yet ... but the safety just went "click."

5. huntersdad

Not to rain on you guys parade, but you are aware that Canon users are reporting significant tracking issues in Servo with anything that is stationary and then begins moving or is moving in a plane coming at or going away from you? That would effectively rule it out as a BIF lens.

Diz, I know you aren't a BIF guy, but you do some.

6. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

Read somewhere that issue would be fixed in later models ... hopefully by this Summer.

7. Diver-Down

Diver-Down Elite Refuge Member

For me personally it's a no brainer. I already have the 1-4 as well as the 400 5.6 I never expected the Tamron to be a great BIF lens, but I do expect it to be able to do basic flight shots, heck I don't consider the 1-4 to be a great BIF lens either, focus just can't quite keep up with the fast ones. The 1-4 is my go to wildlife lens especially when shooting in the shade or cloudy days because of the IS and when I need the zoom for a deer or bear or something like that. The 400L is my go to flight lens or nice sunny day lens. As soon as I'm 100% convinced the Tamron is better than the 1-4 for me, it's gone.

As far as Servo tracking, I've seen some issues with it freezing up but nothing detrimental so far. I took a pile of flight shots of snow geese on Saturday and I really had no issues tracking the birds at 600mm it's just that I had a fair amount of soft focus shots where the lens couldn't quite keep up and geese aren't real fast or hard to track. I didn't try backing off to 400mm much but since I know the focus is quite a bit faster at 400 I suspect it would match the 1-4 when dialed back. These were also handheld, like HDC im not a big fan of having to use a tripod and I'm also new to shooting at 600mm so that could be some of it right there too.

I'm not too worried about the Servo tracking as Tamron has a 6 year warranty on there lenses, try that Canon !! As they fine tune the Servo issues I'm sure they'll make good on the warranty.

8. huntersdad

No offense DD, but you are making the assumption Tamron thinks there is a problem. Based on what I am seeing and replies Tamron is giving, they don't view it that way. And while I agree it probably isn't meant for bids, why buy it if it can't do them? That's my opinion anyway.

9. Diver-Down

Diver-Down Elite Refuge Member

Of course they know there are issues. They read the forums, get the emails, and test the lenses they get back, they just didn't admit it yet, probably because they don't have a fix for it yet. Do I agree with this, no it stinks. One similar issue comes to mind with Canon, 1D Mark III. They had focusing issues but it took awhile for them to come up with a fix and admit it.

Like I said, it really hasn't been an issue for me yet. Maybe I haven't used the lens enough yet or maybe I just got a better copy. I wouldn't say you can't use it for BIF though, it's just that there are better lenses for that but it still works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Brad, Not everyone is "obsessed" with BIF photography! Its fine if that is what you like, or want to do but the photographic world doesn't revolve around it!

And then, not everyone enjoys those "dead stick" forensic ultra sharp images of some damn mallard hanging from a wire in the sky!! Some Do! And that's fine too!!!

The expensive camera and expensive lens does not make the photographer although many feel if they drop that kind of money they become a pro by it with their "Lexus" mentality!!!

SO when Tamron or Sigma comes up with a less expensive alternative to battle the "GREED" of the big two who now seem to be aiming their products at the "Lexus" crowd, We "actual" working professionals or serious amateurs rejoice and make the best of what they offer.