More on the Tamron 150-600

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Feb 25, 2014.

1. huntersdad

huntersdad Elite Refuge Member

Diz, birds aren't the only thing that moves. Many are having tracking problems with dogs/large mammals/so on. I'm not indicating that it is a bad lens, and am in fact looking forward to Nikon's version coming out. But if it is struggling to track, regardless of the subject, it's not a winner in my book.

2. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

I understand that, but many of us do not have "Lexus" budgets and neither can justify or absorb the cost of the big fancy primes by the GREEDY NIPS!!!!! That doesn't make us any less of a photographer in any case and by any means!! I have seen better work and more creativity come from a simple "point and shoot" than with these high-dollar "Look at what I have" camera's and lenses in the hands of wealthy wanna be photographers that think the more money they spend makes them look better! I hate seeing the "You gotta have this or that stuff" on so many nature forums today! All it does is frustrate and depress those less fortunate financially trying to get into this craft!

Also, there is a lot more to this craft than just photographing a flying duck or goose. But then on this forum, it seems to be what every one wants to do or likes to see and that's perfectly OK too!

There is a place for these big expensive lenses with good photographers like Moody and Stimac and others who have "paid their dues" with years of dedication to this craft in all of it's aspects and consider these tools as an investment and not something to show off as a status symbol. David Stimac is a hell of a photojournalist and teacher with the simplest of tools in his hands!

So we will hope that things get better with this new lens but you can't really complain, even today with it simply because of it's price tag! If you want perfect my friend, then reach deep into your pockets! Or better yet, hone your skills and make every image from this new lens look just as good as the images from the "Yuppie Glass".......(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I got news for you and all!! The gear that Ansel Adams used to create every masterpiece cost's less at that time than a case of beer today!!

There were/are many award winning professional sports photographers in the past who were shooting at less than 2 frames per second, No IS or VR and with manual focus lenses as well! So Don't cry about tracking and auto focus! It used to be a photographers skill and creativity that counted and not the "crutch" of "do it all for you cameras and lenses" to make up for his lack of skills and knowledge!! It was a photographers talent and dedication and not his wallet that made him King!!! "And it still very much is today too!!!!"

3. D Stimac

D Stimac Moderator

Thanks for the plug Jim!

I wish these companies would just offer a 400mm f/5.6 in a Nikon mount instead of these mongo zooms. IMO these things just cover too much range and image quality is going to suffer somewhere. I own a 70-200mm for landscapes and wider shots of wildlife so I don't need such a huge zoom range in a walk-around bird lens.

4. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

I want this lens but, not for birds. I got a date with some open country mulies. I can't afford the $5K for a trophy permit but, hopefully I can get a handful of 180pt+ full frames I can hang on the wall. Stalk-n-release you could say. Also, I think this can be a great journalist lens as well. With the zoom, you keep the ability to reach & compose a shot:tu

5. Dizzy Duck

I'm not a big fan of zooms either, at least until the "digital realm"! I never owned one during my film days. I shoot the big primes on occasion but with my desired subjects all of that weight just hampers my efforts. Yeah, I'm a "wuss" and love my "tweety birds"!! Have you ever tried to follow a tiny warbler whose moves are very unpredictable in and out of varying light; and one minute he is three feet away and then in a split second, 25 feet away up-down, side to side, in and out!!. Try that with a big heavy prime~! Those darn zooms have their place, I tell ya!! My old 100-400L has more than paid its dues and many times over! The "wanna be" Pixel Snobs can huff and puff and sneer all they want but in the end I will laugh them to the bank!

I still want the new light EF 300 f2.8 Canon prime and a set of converters. I have shot that new lens with both the 1.4 and the 2x and the AF suffers at a tiny minimum and it is every bit as sharp still as the 500 prime even totally wide-open! Now for me, that lens is worth the price somewhat!!

To this day I have never understood why Nikon doesn't have a 400 5.6 as popular as the Canon version is! Makes no senses! I'd like to see a very light 500 5.6...

6. D Stimac

D Stimac Moderator

7. Dizzy Duck

WOW!1 I think I will stay with my 100-400L. It is even sharper with the 1.4 attached at 400 and 560mm wide-open then the Tamron at 400mm wide open!!!

Like I said before, all I will gain is 40mm and with a tele 40mm isn't much compared to an additional 40mm in a 100mm or less lens!

8. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

Wow, its been awhile since I have been on here. I was just out browsing forums looking for post on this lens. I have been thinking about getting it but just not ready to replace my 100-400 yet. I have seen a lot of great shots from this tamron lens and it is making me think about it more and more. A friend of mine that does a lot of photography out in Yellowstone suggested this: Kenko Teleplus Pro300 DGX 1.4x TC. I have seen some of her photos using this and I was surprised. She said it will auto focus as well but I am guessing it takes good light. I was just wondering if you know anything about it? It might be a good option for me when I need that extra reach.

9. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Steve seems to have his dialed in.

I went to my local camera shop today to look at some ready-made photo frames for a project at work and the shop owner and I talked about the lens and possible issues. He even called his Tamron rep and talked to source so to speak. First he pulled out some incredible hand-held still shots of a downtown Charlotte skyscraper taken with the one lens that came to his shop when they were first released. The guy that took them ended up buying the lens after he got home and went through everything he took from the shop...the shop was so impressed they printed them into poster sized images for everyone to see.

We discussed the servo focusing issues and the rep and shop owner felt that the more people used the lens, they would figure things out. Recall that when the 7D and about every other body that Canon makes first came out, everyone was screaming that they were having focusing issues. AS time went on, people started posting up formulas with their custom functions where they were able to dial in the camera to get the best results...many of these fixes included selecting the single center focus point or even the spot focus point, slowing down the speed that the camera changes focus tracking, etc, etc. Remember too that these bodies are looking for high contrast points to focus on and this new lens uses the newest top glass that will give us better contrast. Also remember you are shooting a BIG zoom that amplifies movement making it harder to track a subject and actually keep that center focus point on just that subject. Move it off slightly to a higher contrast point...and the camera is going to shift focus to that point.

SO for those that do get the lens or those that have it now...it is going to take time to figure out the right combination of CFs to dial in the camera body to the lens. BUT...Tamron is seriously looking into everything, and if there is a fix, all lenses will get the fix since they do have a full 6 year warranty. Remember...there aren't many lenses out there if any that are moisture sealed with a 6 year warranty that are producing still images this good...at this price. At that price considering that Canon will charge you $286.12 just to look at your equipment now for anything out of their one year warranty...it would be worth getting the Tamron and selling it every 6 years just to keep one with a warranty. :dv

10. Dizzy Duck

Yep, Steve is certainly enjoying his and I spent a few hours with him last weekend at Barnegat! I do think that Tamron has a winner here or at least a wonderful start of one! I am impressed and the price is for sure right!!