More tariffs.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Mar 1, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Never said we aren’t getting screwed on import/exports. We’re getting a big rigid shaft there. But no, we are using tons more imports than domestic items. Places like WalMarks rarely sell an American made item anymore (though they are now claiming they are selling more USA made stuff). They made their fortune off Chinese junk. I’d imagine if one were to live off just domestic products, you’d have to be well paid, just to get by. Yes, there would be growing pains. The question is, could we survive those, or would it send our whole society into poverty. We should shift back to “Buy American”, but it can’t be done quickly. It briefs well, but IMO wouldn’t be sustainable.

2. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Gotcha just trying to figure out how a seemingly great idea is making people upset. I guess we will see. It’s only on 2 things steel n aluminum correct. I don’t kno they exact number of imports but putting a tariff on 2 doesn’t seem earth ****tering. Even though I’m guessing steel is a big one.

3. stevena198301

Things like beer companies claiming they will have to increase the cost of beer by 10% due to the increase of the tariff. If we’re ok with that increase (or others like it, knowing it shouldn’t cost 10% more), will cause any item with those components to increase, because the companies feel like it’s a new avenue to rape us even more and make an extra buck.

4. Dirtybird420

Yea I get it. I guess it goes back to in a perfect world. Who knows maybe it’ll work out. We already know how what we have been doing works. If beer costs me a few bucks more for a few years till wages n other stuff catches up to even out I’ll survive. I just remember the amount of people Bethlehem steel employed when it was running an can see the huge impact having a bunch of steel mills open back up would have in a lot of places. I’m pretty sure that n the gm plant employed that entire area. N I’m sure there’s plenty of places similar to it around the us.

5. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

You mean foreign owned beer companies, right? Hear is just another example of people actually dicussing trade issues.. I listened to local talk today, sugar growers groushing about Mexico sugar and other countries. Beef producers complaining of export tarrifs, soybean producers about GMO restrictions etc..

Each has a real complaint, all are dealing with non free market issues that are results of poor trade deals. I haven' looked at proposed tarrifs. I know that this has been an in going complaint, other than that in the end I think having production capabilty is prudentnandnsound.

6. stevena198301

You think domestic beer companies only use aluminum from the US?

7. Dirtybird420

If it gets real tight rikalof still comes in a plastic gallon jug. On a good note Tropicana comes from Florida. Screwdrivers for everyone. N no metal involved. Winning.

8. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Vodka is a plastic jug? Didn't know that.

9. Dirtybird420

Yea last time I checked. It’s been a long time since I tangled with that. But it’s still in the jug. Pretty sure that Canadian mist or whiskey is a plastic jug to. Not a fan but if aluminum cans get to high do what ya gotta do.

10. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Do you realize they could be? I know that production of aluminum in the US has dropped, something like 9 plants idled or closed due to import competition in the past few years if memory serves.

Steel production has remained flat or decreasing in the US over the last 50 years but China which even back then was the world leader in steel production, has tripled its production which exceeds the combined steel production including Japan, USA and India as well as another 30 some countries.

The US consumes 60% more steel than we produce which is a problem in times of national security!

Now there are a host of reasons that these products are in decline in the US for production but with China producing that much steel and dumping it into the US market I can see why steps may be needed to correct this.

I just read the scuttlebutt regarding Cohn resigning and I may have been wrong in thinking Trump was using this as a bargaining chip but I can admit that.

Might do the research on this and if I do, then Hobby I will give you a YES OR NO response.