Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Morels?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Apr 29, 2016.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Is it time or past time to hunt morels? I've found them before, unintentionally, while out hiking in the river bottoms, but never very many. Just wondering if there is a good time to do it here in Idaho.

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

And speaking of mushrooms, my uncle rides a lot (horses) and they would find these big mushrooms up at the snow line in the spring - they look kinda like brains. Anyone know what they are called? I don't remember, but I remember them being really big and really good to eat.

3. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

Can't say without pic but growing up in Montana, we used to get round white mushrooms the size of basketballs and larger...knew them as "puffballs"...Got rid of outer skin and interior was like a sponge...cut like French fries, egg batter and fry. Liked them better than morels.

4. sdkidaho

I've seen the puffballs, but never very big - I've never tried those. These big brain looking ones are brownish-tan color.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

There are many types of puffballs, even one that its a parasite to a deadly mushroom.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I found a 6 inch puffball Saturday right in the middle of the road.
    I use to hunt morels every spring in Minnesota,. But have never found a morel in the west. I know some guys find them,.. I just havent.
    The ones that I know were found at lower elevations under 6000 in cottonwood river,creek bottoms that were lightly pastured.
    Back in Minnesota the first days of 70 degrees we hit the woods hard then any rainfall under 3/4 "

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

I would say it is time, and over your way, might be on the tail end but should be around for a bit more. I know there were some fires over your way last year, a good place to do some hiking and you should get them. I know a lot of folks pick them commercially the year after a fire. A huge rush to get them as they pay premium prices. River bottoms, look around the dead cottonwoods and might do ok. Good luck

8. sdkidaho