Morton building

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by thatguy2, Feb 9, 2018.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

We are looking at building a shop. 40x60x12 with a 5” concrete floor. I’ve got 3 bids with Morton being the highest. However they are using 26ga while the other 2 bid 29 gauge metal. My folks built a Morton in 91-92 and it still is in great shape. The warranty they offer also kicks the dog crap out of all other builders I have solicited bids from. Wind rating is also better. Is that worth the premium they charge?

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Our duck camp is a Morton building, 30x60x12 with a part of it a garage for tractor, wheelers,boats, decoys, waders and etc. we have a wood burning fireplace, enclosed bathroom. The remainder is one large living area, sleeping area and kitchen. The inside is finished with log cabin siding. I can’t give a higher recommendation for Morton, it has served us very well.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Unless the premium is absurd it sounds like a no brainer.

4. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking at building the same size shop this year, but we are going to do a stick frame, with attic trusses. Lumber package is about 22k including insulation, doors, windows, and interior OSB sheeting. Radiant floor, Combi Navien boiler, 20x20 office/man cave w full bath. Fujitsu ductless for cooling. We'll wire and plumb ourselves, hire out the concrete flat work and probably the framing. I'll be in it around 65k.
    If you don't mind saying, what is the metal building cost? I didn't price one out.

5. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I am looking at a 45'X70' out building. I has to be built like the home. Hardie siding.

I wanted a metal building to save some money. Anyone every do a cost comparison?

6. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks I did not see your post while I was asking.

igo4dux75 likes this.
  7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Stick frame guy (still metal) is $47k
    Another builder post frame is $47,500 but he also included that thin silver insulation through out.
    Morton is $59k
    None of those prices include me doing the dirt work to get the site ready.

8. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

Roger, I'm doing my own dirt work (I'll rent a mini excavator) and the concrete footer, I'll lay the insulation and bar and tubing and let the professionals do the flat work. I think if I was to hire it all out I would be in the 100k range. We estimate it will add 150k of value to our property in the current local property market.

9. Chris-ND

Chris-ND Refuge Member

Had Morton put up a 48x72 for me last July (17). Would do it again in a heartbeat, Excellent company, neat, organized . Very good experience. Chris-ND

10. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

Parents put up a Moton about a year and a half ago. They had 2 previous Morton sheds which is why they went with them again despite being significantly more expensive than others. My dad has been in construction for 40 years and after this last shed he said he’ll never use Morton again. Constant issues to the point Morton has since replaced all the doors and the roof because they were initially put on incorrectly. Also did not seal the soffits correctly which let in insects to the point of having to sweep them up by the shovel full once frost hit and they died. A number of other issues as well that I can’t remember them all. Might just be the crew they had on the build, who knows.