Mossberg 835

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Bottomland hunter, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Bottomland hunter

Bottomland hunter Refuge Member

What load and choke have y'all been getting a good pattern out of on this gun?

2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

I've not done any extensive patterning of duck or goose loads from mine since it is now a backup to my backup, but the one thing I could never complain about was the patterns produced by pretty much any shell I've ever put to paper. From 3.5" turkey loads to 2.75" clay shells. Just something about these guns and that 10 gauge over bore that produces very nice patterns. My advice would be to buy a couple boxes of shells in the shot sizes you plan to use (I use 3" #3's for ducks and 3" BB's for geese but 3" 1's or 2's would honestly work for both year round) and the price range you're comfortable spending. Pattern them through the factory modified choke. If you dont like what you see or think it needs to be better, try an aftermarket (Carlsons makes a very fair priced pair in their Cremator series) one.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

All 3 of mine have been best with slower loads, 1400fps the ported barrels more so that the non ported. Start out with the full choke and 1 1/4oz of 2's in the shell of your choice. The way they pattern I wouldn't waste my money on a choke even if you're taking 40 yard shots.

4. TEN GAUGE BBB

TEN GAUGE BBB New Member

I had an older model 835 that I used for about 5 or so years. I got great patterns with the factory mod and full chokes shooting Federal (red box) in BBB and #2 size shot. At that time those were the only shot sizes I ever used.

5. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Strangler choke and Kent 3 1/2" 1 9/16 oz #2 and BB or Remington 1 1/2 oz #2 and BB.

6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

+/- 20 yo 835 I still hunt with regularly.
    Ported barrel.
    Factory Mod patterns everything really well.
    To Billy Bob's point though, I really don't shoot fast shells. So that might make a difference.

7. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Anyone know exactly when the 835 was introduced and when the 3.5" shell hit the market?

Billy Bob and duckbuster5901 like this.
  8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Mid 80,s if memory is correct. Believe they partnered w/federal bringing 3 1/2" gun same time as shell introduction.

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

1988. My first one (with the non ported barrel) has a SN in the mid 20K range. 3.5's didn't really catch on for several years. The geese did though. :l 3.5" 1 9/16oz BBB's (112 pellets) through the X-full T&F choke were a good step up from other steel loads of the time. Gave us almost 10 more yards with the pattern density to still kill geese without every other bird being a cripple. But of course we were young punks back then that just thought it was bigger boom = more power and really didn't know why but we loved them. :l

10. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I went a different route back then and switched to a BPS 10. Got a much bigger boom but the geese started falling dead again and not flying away crippled. God I hated that early /slow steel shot.

callinfowl and 10GAGENUT like this.