most "important" goose calls

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Cluckaholic, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Cluckaholic

Cluckaholic Refuge Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering how you all feel about the calls you blow in the field, such as the double cluck, spit note, etc. I blow almost exclusively clucks, double clucks, and moans (still a beginner), but I was wondering what sounds you blow most out in the field with success for canadas and lessers? looking to add some new sounds to my arsenal and wondering what you all like to blow.
    John

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

You can kill plenty of geese with just perfecting the notes you already do and timing of them. The majority of what I do hunting as in 99% is a mixture of clucks, doubles, and moans

Cluckaholic likes this.
  3. Cluckaholic

Cluckaholic Refuge Member

what do you use for comebacks calling on a day when the birds are call-shy?

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much anytime I will use a moan cluck like two geese going back and forth like they do when they are coming in to land. Idk for sure why it is so effective, but I assume it's because it sounds like two of there buddies just came in and landed so they turn around to give it another look

5. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Moan em back

6. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Some Great advice here! Although I can do the Spit and Quick Spit along with other trick sounds I think that they are mostly for showing off. I have yet to see Geese respond as readily to the trick sounds like they do the Moan, Cluck or combination thereof. Just throwin' it out there. Murph.

7. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Learn as many notes as you want, but in the field simplicity is a good thing.

8. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Some of the greatest "killers" I've ever had the pleasure to hunt with are also some of the "worst" callers I've ever heard . Yet they know how to make noises at the times when noises need to be made . Bottom line . Clucks , honks , moans , and exciting faster combinations of the three when the time is right go a long long way . These fellas have lanyards wrapped full of bands that they probably forgot they even have .

Great calling takes years and years of practice and dedication to learning the call , air presentation , and learning the birds and what it takes to break them down some days . But it does make a night and day difference a lot of days from a skunk or a successful outing ... if you can peel out geese or a pair or a single out of a flock when 99% of callers calling at them would end just watching them fly past without luck .

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    goosenazi likes this.
  9. TN_Hunter

TN_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

The flag..........

IAsnow goose likes this.
  10. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

I kill a heck of a lot with a growl or moan type call. Like an old gander protecting his ground.