Most popular double reed?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

I took it to mean more or less having become proficient on a duck call .... I would say the Echo or Hobo lines are most popular for guys who are more advanced in their ability.

2. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Your attempted point is so off base, its actually sort of amusing. Your trying to tell me that the entire state of Louisiana, that mostly uses Haydells, and that is one of the leaders in ducks harvested most years, does not have "advanced callers?" There are some serious duck killing fools in that state. Then add in most of the rest of the deep south...... If you don't think those old Cajuns with a DR-85 are not "proficient," go sit in the marsh over there and get schooled.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Have you never listened to a good caller on a DR-85???

BTW, a DR-85 was part of the winning team in World Team alive Duck this year

bullpinnie and GulfCoast like this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy that guides on a million dollar club. He can afford any duck call and he blows DR 85's. I never liked them that much because of the plastic taste, but you cannot argue that they are no duck killers in the right hands.
    My buddy says the calls I like have too much rasp.

GulfCoast and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. Wiscoduckhunt

Trevor ... I thought you posted earlier that advanced callers don't use doubles????

To Gulfcoast ... You realize Louisiana is one of 50 states right????

6. GulfCoast

Duh. And the DR-85 is used by legions of guys in way more than just one. Keep digging.....

7. Wiscoduckhunt

Also, stretching my comment to make it seem like I said there were no good callers in Louisiana completely ridiculous.

On the other hand you went out of the way to paint you southern folks as duck gods because you shoot the most. You realize the reason places like Louisiana and Arkansas lead in harvest has nothing to do with the quality of duck hunters and callers that hunt there? While some of the nation's best may reside in those places, it wouldn't matter. The fact that hundreds of thousands of waterfowl converge/focus on small areas may have something to do with it.

I know that DR85 is not used by legions of folks in WI. I am there are some, but the deep South is probably the epicenter of it's popularity.

BAYDOG likes this.
  8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

They don’t unless they are trying to stand out in a crowd ie a contest that everybody sounds the same in

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Perception.

Friend to some. Enemy to others.

10. GulfCoast

I have NOT tried to go out of my way to paint anyone as a "duck god." You are stretching, again. And rocking the ipse dixit logical fallacy. However, you have said "proficient callers" don't use DR-85's. Yet, there are legions of darn proficient callers in the deep south, and in other areas that use DR-85's. I have seen them all over the U.S. Once again, go sit in a LA marsh and find out for yourself if guys using a DR-85 are "proficient." Sure, there are a lot of waterfowl concentrated in the southern states. And there is WAY MORE PRESSURE in those states. And a lot of awfully good callers use DR-85's now, and for decades past, to kill those highly pressured ducks, in highly pressured areas, because THEY WORK. Proficient is, as proficient does.

cupnglide likes this.