Most popular double reed?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

DR-85 is the most popular double, but to me, when I think of double reeds that stand out or are different, I think of about three calls. I personally use the Power Calls Torque AA(LA style call), and have used the Grounds Hen Talk(another LA style). I like these because they can get really loud, but still keep that flat tone. Obviously they have good range for doubles too. Probably the most unique double reed, to me, is the Zink XR-2. It's a J frame style call, but has a really different tone and I've had good success with it in the past, especially on stale birds that have heard about everything.

2. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

It was never my intention to offend anyone and from where I sit the DR85 Is a complete after thought. I am glad it works for you guys down south. I am sure it works fine up here for the folks that use it. I would say I see way more duck commander products, Buck products, Zink products, and primos products on layards in WI than Haydels. This is as far as plastic calls are concerned.

Just going to end with again it is hard to fight this.mentalallity in southern hunters about we are so great because we kill so many more birds and the whole there is way more pressure. There is not way more pressure. Yes WI is bigger than LA but we also outpace them in license sales 10k+ most years. And there are huge expanses of WI that lack habitat and simply don't hold birds.

I wish there were more companies that had roots in WI so hunters here could get behind a product like folks from LA and Arkansas get behind theirs. It is probably just marketing and access.but i am going to double down on the duck commander products being very popular up here especially with the I hunt sparingly crowd.

The only Haydels I ever had cracked on the first time I took it out in the low 20s...I have also had several other poly calls crack as well.

3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I work in the Wine Industry. Once Ernest Gallo was asked "what is the best wine"? His answer was "the wine you like is the best wine"............

I feel the same way about duck calls. The call you like is the one for you. It doesn't have to fit the mold of what the elite callers consider acceptable by their standards. I've blew a DR85 for years and killed ducks. Then started blowing singles and went through many of those I liked. I finally settled in with a custom osage double reed that a good friend built for me. Never thought I would go back to blowing a double again honestly but I enjoy blowing a call handcrafted by a friend who lives in my State. That is pride of ownership. Often times it isn't just the sound of the call that attracts us to a call or the price range. It may be some sort of sentimental attachment. There are plenty of calls out there that probably sound better and have more versatility but this call is special to me.

I blew a DR85 for years and called in ducks with it. I used RNT's, Lares, Echo and Betts calls for several years and called in ducks with those. So my conclusion is lots of calls can get it done in the field. You just have to stick with what works for you and the more versatility you have as a caller means more calls can work for you if they are built correctly. Lots of folks here on this thread who have built excellent functional calls that perform well in the field and stage as well, so no one should ever complain about not having enough choices out there. Your head can spin there are so many choices these days.

Not sure what that all means in terms of this thread lol.........but figured I would throw in my two cents.

Kevin

4. Calikev

Pressured ducks are pressured ducks. Doesn't matter if you are hunting in Arkansas, LA, up north your way or even out West in California, ducks that have been hunted and are stale are tough to call in. So the same things apply no matter which flyway you are in. Certain calls have their place at certain times and the DR85 is no exception. The ducks don't ask you what is on your lanyard. They hear the sound coming out the end and they decide if they want to come in or not. So learning to find a call that can produce those sounds those birds want on that given day is the key to success. Some calls are inherently more capable of producing more sounds so that affords one more tricks in the bag. That is probably why a lot of folks don't choose a DR85. Its capabilities run out when getting into volume based, open water situations where a mid range or open water single reed performs better. That is probably why so many proficient callers choose single reed calls of their liking.

Kevin

5. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

I am pretty sure that I have blown more double reed calls than most. Paul Kingyon is by far the best, and I mean by far. Matt Pierce makes a nice copy for $150, which is worth it as Kingyon calls are climbing in price. You cannot beat a Kingyon double reed, no way.

6. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

Yentzen...Sure Shot 550 or 650....Cheap, ez to blow and ducky...Been using 35 years...Sometimes I'll snag brand new ones on Ebay for $10...

7. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

I can't stand double reeds, but if I had to blow one, the Zink XR-2 and Grounds Sweet Meet would be the ones I'd use.

8. Calikev

Kingyon was a very popular call among Grassland hunters here in California. Great volume but relatively flat overall in my opinion. I never cared for them personally but lots of guys had their way with those calls.

I remember horse trading a call for this little clear plastic double reed in the mid 80's. My buddy had bought it out of an ad in the back of a magazine (for you younger guys that's how we mail ordered in those days). He got the call delivered to him and instantly chucked it into a box of calls thinking it sucked. A couple of months later I was at his house and found his box of so called junk calls. We started playing around with a bunch of calls and I saw that little clear call. Started messing around with it and remembered seeing it on a TV show and was impressed with the nasally, ducky sound it made. So I asked him if he wanted to trade and he said sure. I gave him an old Olt Double Reed for it that wasn't too much in my opinion.

I went home and played around with that call and tweaked it a little to get some really good sound out of it. Flash forward to the following duck season I was doing something others weren't doing with the Kingyon's around me and that was actually finesse calling and sounding like a duck. I remember hunting next to some firemen one day who were all Kingyon's loyalists and having my way with the ducks that day. It was just one of those days where the birds came to the call like you wanted them to. They were eating up the music coming out of that little plastic call. Those guys were so impressed with what they had witnessed they walked out intentionally through my pond to see what I had going on. They saw the call on my lanyard and asked about it. I reluctantly told them what it was and that officially ended the Kingyon era for those guys as they got beat up pretty bad that season so the next season they all had that little plastic call. It only took a matter of time before seemingly everyone was blowing those little plastic calls. That was the start of the DR85 era for us and for many, many years we made our living with that call. Kingyon's faded away for the most part as over the years more calls were to follow that had the sound of the DR85 but could match the volume of the Kingyon.

The DR85 will always hold a special place in my heart but I also realize there are certain things it just can't do. For that reason many have moved on from it but it still can have its days. Callers in general are more capable now then they were in those days, especially in CA where back in those days the level of callers was pretty low overall as most were never exposed to the same calling boys in the Midwest or down South were. The internet and social media have changed a lot and now everyone can enjoy an expanded choice of calls.

Kevin

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

And here the old film clips and magazine articles had me thinking all you Cali guys used to do was whistle.

10. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

just had Mr Gaston make me one and it is darn hard to beat. can get loud and keep the rasp and can be very quiet... now just waiting on the mail for another duckzilla.....