Most popular double reed?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Oh......don't get me started on Billy G. :l

The whistle still has it's purpose out here in the Grasslands and the #1 bird harvested by far is Green Wing Teal. There are still some dedicated mallard hunters around though but it ain't like it used to be Rick. Times have changed in a lot of ways and not all for the better I tell you. Mallards are getting thinner and thinner on public ground and guys are getting more and more stupid about how they hunt them despite being better callers and having all that access to seeing it done right. Hard to speed up the natural curve as it takes time to learn and no matter how much YouTube you watch it can't teach you it all.

Kevin

freefall likes this.
  2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I would think something like the primos wench would've been the answer here.

But one of the duck commander calls may very well truly be correct as well.

BAYDOG likes this.
  3. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Any double sold in Wal-Mart would be the winner

Stump

Spencer5100 likes this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I was still writing when the Wench came out, and four of them showed up in the mail as part of their PR campaign. Weren't for me, and I gave them away. Know they had a following for a while, but I can't say I recall seeing another in recent years.

But Duck Commander must have been selling the heck out of something even before the mainstream TV show. My favorite was an early Cutdown Reacher I ran for a few years, but I had to go to Robertson when I couldn't find a second to tune differently (one high, one low/shop tuned). He was nice enough to fix me up, saying they didn't sell well enough to keep stocking retailers, but he still made some "...for me, thee and what few others can run them." Eventually went back on the market, but by then I'd moved on. The CR fit me well enough that I never considered it hard to run, but would guess the original wood Duck Commander among, if not, their all time best seller, because most anyone breathing could run it. Found a shiny "new" circa mid '80s one in my call drawer when one of my grandsons was still too small to call - but danged if he didn't get a duck out of what then became his call.

BAYDOG and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Good post, I had 3 CR's (the beige plastic mdl) and couldn't run them so I gave them all away- I should've kept at least one. And I agree about the DC200. A couple of guys that hunted around here were duck callin' fools so one day at the ramp I asked what brand they used and both of them used a DC200 and the wood CR. Well I had to have one one (I still couldn't run that wood CR either), that was around 1981. I've had a lot of great results from that call, but also had good results with a Yentzen and the Haydell VTM 90(?) which IMO is the DR85 w/a hole in the exshault. And your right in that in the early years I've talked to Phil on the phone (and got one heck of a long distance bill :l;)), he was a real nice man to talk to and helped me out. :tu

6. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I consider myself at least adequate, if not advanced. Over the last 30 years, that DR-85 pictured below has convinced many a duck to his demise.
    These are the calls on my lanyard every year (minus the chapstick now). I took this pic in Nov 2012. And it has been the same 3 calls that go to the field for many years before, and since.
    [​IMG]

7. BOSSRIVER

BOSSRIVER Senior Refuge Member

Can’t speak on advanced callers with double reeds but.....
    Some of the most realistic duck callers I know blow the Duck Picker. In my opinion for the average joe the duck commander calls are hard to beat if your looking for a double reed.

BAYDOG likes this.
  8. JD Danberg

JD Danberg Senior Refuge Member

There are a lot of good ones out there. I really like the Bill Saunders Gravity.

9. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

Hobo ICU2
    Very ducky and as versatile as a single reed

10. Call Maker Kevin

Call Maker Kevin New Member

I am new here, my first post, so hey to you all. I haven't hunted ducks in like 35 years, but I did start making duck calls about a year ago just as a hobby cause some hunting friends encouraged me to make use of my lathe, so I'm feeling my way along on this. I have made a few double reed calls, but mostly they are single reed. I'm not a great caller, but I find the single reeds easier to tune and blow then the doubles. My question would be, overall what makes a double reed more desirable to some than a double reed? Is it they do find them easier to blow; make a ducky sound? I know one hunter who blows my calls who can make either double or single sound great. By the way, all my calls thus far are wood, many from stabilized wood.
    Kevin