Most popular double reed?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

That's the favorite of the old Codger I hunt with, they started with them in about 58-60 or so when "Jim Cowboy Fernandez" made the instruction record.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

How do you tune calls for advanced callers if you're "not a great caller"?
    Calls just don't magically sound good when when an advanced caller pushes them to the limit. Unless you bought your jig from someone that has already spent the time tweaking on it for you. I guess I just don't get how this can even be possible, could you please explain this to us?

3. Call Maker Kevin

Call Maker Kevin New Member

Thanks for the response Callinfawl. First I have to say I surely have not yet made it as a call maker. Heck,I'm just getting started so I didn't mean to imply anything otherwise. I do realize the more of these that I make that there is no magic in making a duck call that sounds right, or good, what ever right and good is. The fact, and it is a fact, that I am not a great caller does have an affect on my ability to tune the duck call, so I am working on that aspect of this hobby. I can blow enough to work the call so I have an idea if I'm in the ball park of having a good call. Are my calls turning out good enough for an "advanced caller?" That is a good question, and one that can really only be answered by the advanced caller blowing on the call. Are my calls turning out a consistent sound? Again, I'm working on that too. I do have a flat jig I'm using to get started. Then I shape the rest of the tone board by hand, but I have a memory and am developing a feel for what that shape needs to be. I have experimented with barrel lengths, tone channel lengths, depths, call materials, etc. All the things that will play into the sound of a call.
    I do have a couple of friends who are pretty darn good callers, so they help me with the testing and tuning. Of the couple dozen calls that are in the hands of hunters, I have received pretty good responses from them. A couple guys have tweaked the calls, and I would expect any great caller might want to do this anyway to try and make it fit his blowing style, unless he was fortunate enough to pick it up and blow it and that magic happened, and it was perfect for him.

So I know I'm not going to shake up the world with my duck calls, and I have no plans of even trying to compete with any other makers of duck calls, but with everything I make, I'll maintain a goal to get to the place where I am producing a consistent sound from my calls, one that I like when I hear someone who is a "great caller" blow it, and most importantly, that THEY like it. Then I can get some satisfaction from what I have produced.

I hope I've answered the question and it puts a better light on where I'm at in the process.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    callinfowl likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Awesome, keep pecking away at it and you will get them dailed it.
    It's amazing how one too many strokes of the file trying to get just a touch more can destroy a call.
    I wish I had a buck for every call that I have messed up.
    I gave up on it a long time ago.
    I wish I would've stuck with it now.
    Best of luck to you.:tu:tu:tu

5. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

RNT brand (seems) to be where it is for a "duck" call that meets the criteria started on your thread...
    Good Luck!

6. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Maybe not the most popular, annnd, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the user. But Dale Bordelon has come out with, for me, the best double reed I have tried in 50 years of duck hunting and duck calling. It is "The Perfect Hen", and it is.

7. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

I agree Dale Bordelon (Bayou Beast Calls) makes one heck of a double reed and gets my vote as the best double reed i've ever tried. But the most popular double reed i'd have to give credit to Haydels DR-85 even though i think Dales is a better double reed call. The 30+ years i've been waterfowl hunting the DR-85 has always been the double reed i've seen the most guys using or talking about. I've seen a lot of ducks killed with a DR-85 and even used one for a short period with great success.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

A Yentzen is the only call that will always be on my lanyard. I run other calls, but that one will always be close by. Deadly in the timber.

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Echo sure sold a lot of double reed calls. Easy to run and worked well. A lot of new calmakers came out stuffing Echo double reed inserts into "their' calls.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yup! :tu I have on a spare lanyard that is in my blind bag a wood/poly and a special run (Derlin) Meat Hanger's! Gives something different for the ducks to hear when they aren't responding well to my RNT's! But I do have another lanyard that has a Yentzen & a VTM 90 (which I liked better than the DR 85) that I've used years ago. I am such a call Ho! ;)