Motion decoys

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Swaggyduck, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Swaggyduck

Swaggyduck Senior Refuge Member

I know there has been threads on this before.

What’re your guys thoughts on motion decoys such as the higdon pulsator decoy if you guys even use them. I’ve read a lot of guys like the jerk string setup better, but wasn’t just curious if anybody was running the pulsator and if you were happy with the product or if you thought a different one was better.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Swaggyduck

Was just curious* my bad!

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I like motion in the decoys for some birds, but if a device has appreciable motion at a distance and I can't start or stop it without drawing attention to the blind, I'd much rather do without it.

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I like pulsators....

JRS and Cocklebur like this.
  5. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

Call days I have a few pulsators out in the spread. Windy days I don’t bother with them. When I need to be mobile or just hunting a pothole I run a jerk rig with 3 dekes.

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

They all have their time and place, just have to pay attention to the birds reaction. I tried the jerk string, and while it no doubt works, I found it somewhat of a hassle to Richard with for the reward. A friend has a pulsator. Moves a lot of water, could pulse a lot less for my taste.

freefall likes this.
  7. Swaggyduck

The new higdon pulsator has a remote which you can use to turn off if flaring and/or save battery if no birds are flying. Kind of a nice feature.

8. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had buddies brings them out. Not a fan. Prefer a jerk cord. Spinner pole, bungee and some decoy line.

Flyfisher likes this.
  9. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

I bough one this yr. 7 times out and can’t tell if it’s made any diff. But it does move water ! Being on the x with out any decs is stil better than not being on the x with motion

Fowler267, partyfowl and freefall like this.
  10. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

Jerk rigs are great, high flyers slow down to look. Some even loose altitude and work.

But it can be distracting to pull a jerk cord, work a call, and be ready to hammer a duck that sneaks up on you.

I like my ripplers, but I don't see a considerable increase in birds working.

Mort and freefall like this.