Motion in the decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hardcore Waterfowler, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I am trying real hard this year to come up with some creative ways to get motion in my decoy spread. It is against the law to use any motorized decoys in Washington State. I currently utilize a jerk string and wind driven flappers when appropriate. Any other ideas that you have seen or care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

I don't know what type of decoys you are using , add some full bodies with motion bases . Try Randy Bartz pole kite flag to get their attention . I put mine on a adjustable crappie pole .

3. Hardcore Waterfowler

Goosnit, after reading your post I realized I was being pretty vague. I mainly hunt ducks, and the majority of the time I am in deep water. Was just curious to see if anyone has gotten creative with non-motorized motion in their water spreads. Kind of a long shot, but just checking...

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Depends on how much money you have to try stuff out. You could rig up more jerk cords to just one string and space them out. If you have current G&H makes a keel adapter that's supposed to add motion to your decoys. Check out WindWhacker decoys. I picked up a decoy a couple years ago that had a 6 ounce weigh on the bottom and had a hook half way up the line. I'm assuming they let a fish bit it and then move around your decoys for hours. No clue if that's legal or not haha.

Constructeur likes this.
  5. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Do you have current where you hunt?

If so, try attaching the main line of your decoy to the center position of your keel rather than the front of it. It may require you to drill a hole in the keel and rig it to make work. Play with different positions. This should allow the decoy to swing back and forth better in the current rather than pulling in the same straight line.

6. Hardcore Waterfowler

EWU, I like the idea of maybe rigging up multiple jerk decoys throughout the spread. I will have try out my engineering skills on how to make that work with the pull of one string/rope. The fish idea is brilliant!! LOL... But I am sure its illegal here. Besides that we have big sturgeons and Salmon in the Columbia. I hook one of those with my decoy I might be kissing my decoy(s) goodbye.

7. Hardcore Waterfowler

Molliesmaster, I like your idea. It actually reminded me of another thing I tried years ago where I cut the entire keel off except for the ring used to tie the weight onto. I hadn't thought of keeping the keel and drilling holes in various spots. I will for sure have to give that a try. THANKS!!! These are the type of ideas I am looking for. I am sure there are more and when I think of them or see them I will be:doh

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

non motorized areas would necessarily require a jerk string. for river current that is slow and without much in the way of ripples you can offset your keel connection, use river keeled decoys, or use some of the decoys that have a natural motion such as the old style ghg teal and some of their older pintails. The big thing on glassy water is to create ripples somehow, if the current has ripples of it's own, the motion of the decoys isn't all that necessary, ripples are what is attracting the ducks as much as the decoys.

9. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Years ago I cut basically the whole keel off (left just enough to attach line) to get more motion. Worked great, those decoys would move all over with very little wind. Not for really windy conditions but great for calmer waters.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My keel-less decoy experiments were a "flop" in any real breeze. (I kill me.)

stevena198301 likes this.