Motion in the decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Hardcore Waterfowler, Oct 18, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

For multiple jerk lines, try using 3 way swivels.
    Don't know if you can get away with it but experiment with lighter line on your decoys. The lighter the line, the more the decoys will move in light wind. I have some old Flambeau life size water keel mallards that have 20# mono and 2 oz weights that I use on small, protected ponds.
    Tying off decoys somewhere toward the middle of the keel will give you good motion in current but don't tie off dead center. That will only allow the decoy to turn sideways and lay over on it's side in good current.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I hear about the keel-less idea a lot. IMO, the reason a jerk line works so well isn't the 'motion', per se, but the ripples thrown up by the movement. You can see those ripples a LONG way off. Removing the keels, while allowing more movement in wind, does nothing for ripples.

NOT saying the idea is wrong, I just take a different view.

3. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

Not the best photo, but this is what I use. Google ‘Deep Water Duck’. This pic was taken yesterday in 10 mph winds hunting in about 20’ of water. I use it on long lines, but you could easily adapt to a single rig.

112F8011-3DC3-49CB-9FFE-BAFDD1367287.jpeg

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Make a 48" Texas rig but instead of a weight use a catfish stink bait.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter Refuge Member

You could put spreaders on your jerk rig to maximize your movements

7. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter Refuge Member

Also I've seen guys make things like the fenzy feeder white rock makes with a jerk line and a spring. I looked for the link but couldn't find it.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

A Cajun friend's daddy used to run a trot line with a few attached decoys through his cypress swamp spread and let the choupique (grinnel) provide the motion. Then at hunt's end, he'd take the choupique to a country market and rebait with duck guts.

9. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

lots of good ideas!!! Thanks guys!!:tu

10. lucky_man

lucky_man New Member

So when you say "motorized decoy", are you saying any type of motorized unit? Not sure because of the laws we have here in MS, we are able to use them. But if it can be something as long as it is not a motorized decoy such as a Lucky Duck or MOJO , then I used to use the motor/prop of an old trolling motor. With a little engineering, trial and error, I'm sure you could rig a way to suspend it in deeper water. I would ratchet strap mine to a t-post to the depth i needed, and then had a light switch hooked through a lawnmower battery. Point it up and it will give you all the motion you could ask for.