Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Motor Is Not Right- IT'S FINE NOW!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by fireduck, Jun 12, 2018.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Many of you followed this story from Nov to Feb. Motor was only running about 50 or 60%. Motor repair place said it was stator or voltage regulator. Tried the voltage regulator first. He took it to the lake and we had high water and drift everywhere. He tried running motor will still on trailer. He called and said come my boat and motor. The old regulator was black and so was a few wires. I picked up about Feb 15th. This past weekend I took it to the lake for the first time (been lazy) It cranked-idled-and ran like a new one! I had been losing voltage for some time. Boat WILL NOT sit idle for 4 or 5 months any more!! I will run it several times this summer. I will take better care of my motor!! END OF STORY- GOOD ENDING!! Thanks fireduck- (Kenny)

callinfowl likes this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Kenny, you know come December, that motor gonna give you fits again. The duck gods don't want no happy duck hunters.

3. fireduck

I hope it stays running! I've been bad in the past about letting the motor sit for 4 or 5 months, I'm only 5 miles from the lake- so a few boats trips will be regular. Grand kids sure did enjoy the boat ride!! Duck season gets a little closer every day- I"M READY! fireduck (Kenny)

4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

That's the biggest mistake of all boat owners,letting stuff sit and not using it. Run the heck out of it, that's what they were made for!

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. fireduck

OH I WILL! Kenny

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

And use non ethanol only!

7. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

With my duck boats (one OB, one Mudmotor) I run then every few months during off season. I only use non ethanol and I add stabil to it as well.
    When I run them off season, I disconnect the gas line from the tank and put it into a container where i have about a 25% satbil to gas. Then I run them dry. So far, seems to be working well. Each Time I start them up they do so w/o any effort.

8. fireduck

I have received many good tips from hunters here and mechanics!! Pure in simple I need to run motor more often!! I have 2 grand kids that just turned 3 (twins-boy and girl) took them for a boat ride last week- and they sure enjoyed POPS boat. Brand new fuel line and hookups-new voltage regulator!! RUNNING GOOD NOW! Thanks for all the help! fireduck (Kenny)

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Some of my greatest childhood memories are of me and my brother in my Dad's rented skiff...... we owned the motor. My brother sitting on the bow deck, sitting Indian style and holding on to a rope tied to the stem, crashing through wakes and the spray flying to cool us from the summer sun. He thinking he was at the front of a great speed boat. Me sitting next to my Dad at the stern, me with my hand over his holding onto that old Evinrude 14 hp tiller, both of us running the boat together, then him slipping his hand away entrusting me to run the boat by myself, be the captain of the speed boat. What a thrill. I had one up on my older brother. All while wearing those bulky orange life jackets tied under your chin that the dock boys didn't have to wear, a goofy hat, that white zinc oxide crap on my nose,( just like the life guards, my Mother would tell me to convince me to wear it) home made blue jean cut off shorts with one leg longer than the other, ( like the boys on Flipper), Coppertone suntan lotion that didn't do anything. Bologna and American cheese sandwiches on squishy white bread in our bellies with watered down orange juice from a round plastic communal jug. Those were the best of times .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    GUNNERX2 likes this.