Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Motor Not Right!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by fireduck, Dec 16, 2017.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

He will check it out today. He asked if I disconnected my gas line every time and run out the gas. I said no, he advised I start doing it. I do let motor sometimes sit 4 or 5 months. Hope it is not bad. fireduck

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Replace the bubble and fuel line.

Mine did something similar. I could idle out of a cove just fine but try to get on plane and it would die. Danny suggested I replace the bubble with a good one. The little anti-drain valve in the bubble will go bad.

Reach back and pump the bubble while you try to give it throttle. If it runs then that would indicate a bad bubble or line connection sucking air.

I got good alcohol resistant fuel line from advance and an bombardier bubble off of Amazon I think. That bubble has lasted two seasons and still isn't getting brittle.

Clayton likes this.
  3. fireduck

Took motor this morning and the first thing he found was fuel line had broken down. He took to lake and ran it- running about 75% now. This will get me through duck season, Then would like to get motor back after season and find out with tests why motor is not 100%. Possible Stator is bad. Not sure without tests, could be something else, but I'm running. How much is the Stator. fireduck- Kenny

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Stator not terribly expensive but all depends on your mechanics rate. A similar condition can be caused by spark plug boot arcing to block. This can only be seen in the dark. Wiil momentarly kill that cylinder so that motor doesn,t make full power. Have that issue in the past also and would only show up on rainy, damp mornings.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I had the stator replaced on my Mercury 25ph 2-stroke. Labor was the big cost because the fly wheel had to be removed to get at the stator.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Build or rent a gear puller to remove the fly wheel. Replace stator yourself.

I'd keep tracking fuel delivery issues since one fix did improve things. Crud is stuck in there somewhere and has to get dissolved or blown out. Replace the whole fuel line assembly and run a can of sea foam through it. Bog it down with sea foam and let it set for half hour to an hour to really soak in. Start it up and let her smoke. Pin the ears back on it on the lake and blow that crud out.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Another thought is a bad thermostat, if they stick wide open they can over cool a cylinder and it can cause the cylinder to drop out. However, I would think that you mechanic would of checked to make sure the engine was getting to the proper operating temp.

8. fireduck

Not much duck hunting going own in my area right now!! Thursday the high is 59- think I will go to the lake and let it rip! Put 4 gallons of non ethnol in tank and topped it off. Put some Star Tron in. It could very possible break loose. Until he runs tests he will not know if stator is bad-could be a couple of other things. I sure will try to break it loose!

9. fireduck

Motor started a little better-would build up speed a little better-did not miss-- would get up to 60 or 65% running ability. That was it-no more no less. It would stay at at speed-never broke loose. Mechanic thinks it is the Stator, Will not know until he can run tests-maybe something else. I will run till the end of duck season! Maybe I can make it? fireduck- Kenny

10. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Timing off, carbs not in sync, stator, debris in jets, many things can be creating the issue.