Motor Not Right!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by fireduck, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Make sure you've got a "get home" motor, because if the stator is breaking down, it could completely fail (no spark) at any time.

2. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

According to mechanic I "should" be ok till end of season Jan 29. It is running better since new fuel line, it will just not run full speed-about 60%. Hope if finds some MINOR! He said all 3 cyl are doing OK. Just a mystery right now. Will be using nearly everyday after Christmas! fireduck- Kenny

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

A new fuel line should be hit or miss, 100% improvement or not. I would borrow a buddies fuel tank and line, even if you have to change the end at the motor if different make from yours and try that. I had trouble with my Yamaha recently. Squeeze bulb was old, hard and leaking. Chet canned the entire line, bought me some fuel line at the auto store, two new ends and a new bulb, tightened the hose clamps good. Fixed the problem 100% and never looked back.
    I agree with the get home kicker in winter. That mechanic cant gurantee you a motor half working to not stop working and then youre stranded in winter. Could be dangerous.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

He mentioned his mechanic said the old fuel line "broke down", which I took to mean came apart from the inside. If that's the case, the next thing I'd do is have that carb DEEEEP cleaned. You may have fuel line gummed up in it. A stator or broken plug wire could def be his issue too though.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Wouldnt the fuel filter catch particles of the inside of the fuel line that was decomposing if that was the case?

6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

TN has been the the Big Freeze for several days. Several other motors are not starting and breaking down with multiple problems. My motor has started and ran every morning!! But still running about 65%.Does not miss and carry on- 65% that is all it will go. About 3 weeks of season left, then I will take it back. We do have others hunters fairy close to each other. They know when we are returning to ramp. fireduck- Kenny

7. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

The fuel one breakdown is probably from the thin reinforced liner which is bonded to the inside of many fuel lines. Ethanol fuel breaks the bond between the-fuel line and the liner. The fuel pump draws fuel at a rate which causes the flimsy liner to be sucked flat stopping the flow of fuel.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The big chunks, yes. It’s my understanding ethanol breaks down the lines into smaller stuff that becomes a film.

Ever rub the outside of a rubber hose that has been badly dry-rotted and see all the little particles in your hand?

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Open up a carb bowl and it will look tan or light gold. Fill the bowl with sea foam or carb cleaner and let it set for a day. Pour it out the next day and wipe it out with a clean cloth. Now you have a metal colored carb bowl. That varnish you removed has to go somewhere. Hopefully it passed through your jets and got burned up with the fuel.

After removing and cleaning those darn Yamaha carbs every year for three years in a row (sometimes twice in a year) I got serious about fuel quality and filtering.

I use only non-ethanol fuel, put a spin on canister fuel-water separator on, keep the fuel filter under the cowl changed out (these suck by the way, they are just a fine metal mesh) and run startron to stabilize and will do a concentrated sea foam to clean. I switched from using pennzoil marine two stroke oil that I assume to be dead dinosaur oil to mystik synthetic and it runs better on that.

Also doesn't hurt to keep your plugs changed out. They are cheap and easy to get to and the old ones can be used as a decoy weight.

Fuel quality and fuel delivery problems are most often really and cheaply fixed with garage tools and in my experience with about ten motors over the years are about 95% of the time the cure for the issue. I've replaced a relay and a stator as the other issues not including fubaring two lower units on logs and rocks.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

A lot of good info has been imparted in trying to diagnose you problem. I’m a little miffed that your mechanic hasn’t been able to find it unless you simply didn’t give him enough time to do so. I do, however, understand your time constraint.

I’m gonna throw out one more thing to look at. You keep saying your running great but at only about 65% or so throttle but everything else seems fine. What you might want to look at is your throttle cable/linkage. Could be binding slightly and causing you to not get WOT. Or maybe some object or corrosion that’s not allowing the linkage to fully push the link arm forward. Simple test on hill. Pull cowling and engage full throttle. Look at carb linkage and see if you have any play left in them. If so, there’s your problem. I have seen it happen before, problem turned out to be in the binnicle control linkage and issue was fixed. Putting this out for you since it hasn’t been brought up.