Motor size for sea ark 2072?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Brad McDaniel, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Brad McDaniel

Brad McDaniel New Member

Don't want to set a speed record but I want to move along at least 28 to 32 mph while fully loaded. What size motor would push my sea ark 2072 tiller style at said speeds? Considering either a 70hp or 90hp yamaha. Note the f70 is 250lbs and the f90 is 350lbs. My regular load would be myself the dog decoys 1 other guy and a 240lb permanent blind I'm going to build for it.

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

a friend of mine has one with a 115, and i'd consider it under powered.

Pit Boss likes this.
  3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

4. River Duck

River Duck Refuge Member

A 70 horse may not put that boat on plane. It's a heavy hull not to mention the extra weight of the blind. I would think at least 100 horsepower is needed. You'll kick yourself in the rear if you do it and end up underpowered.

bullpinnie likes this.
  5. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I have a 2072 sea ark with a two stroke 50 n it . Just me n dog it'll push 25 but add a. Lille big boys n a ton of gear it'll do like 20. I've never felt under powered just maybe a shade on the slow side, there is a difference. When it comes time to repower I'll probably go with a 70 Yamaha. The power to weight gain with the twenty extra hp isn't worth it to me. A big hp motor will get you movin fast but also add a ton Of weight . Plus I can't imagine a 100+ hp tiller motor that sounds nuts

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

And my little 50 has no problem getting on plane n a it's a 2072 mv with the factory diamond plate floor n 3 batteries n gas tank between bench n transom. N yes it's a heavy pig

7. dc73nova

dc73nova Refuge Member

I have a 2072 war eagle center console with a F90 Yamaha. It will run right at 40 mph with normal load 2-3 men. Definitely not underpowered. We've had 4 men, 2 layout boats 12 dozen deeks and gear in the boat and it would still run faster than I wanted to go. I run a 19 pitch prop and it's unbelievable how efficient it is on fuel.

Brad McDaniel likes this.
  8. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

We had a 225 Johnson Venom on our 1872 SeaArk, pushed it into 60s pretty easily. It had a side mount helm and hydraulic steering with a CNC hydraulic jack plate. We beefed up transom and welded in a 1/4" thick full length deck plate floor. Could put 8 people in it and still run 50+. We ran a 4bld 15.5x 26 pitch Mercury Bravo 1 prop. Only issue was it burned 27 gals an hr at 5800 rpm WOT. Don't under power it SeaArks are a well made heavy boat.

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, just saw in the op you wanted a tiller.

I'd still want a decent size motor to get on plane quick. Otherwise you going to be nose up looking at boat a bunch and not able to see what is in front of you.

10. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

what hp is the boat rated for.get close to that with the biggest tiller you can.