Motor size for war eagle

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by River Duck, Oct 4, 2017.

1. River Duck

River Duck New Member

I have a 17'x54" ldsv model with a side console. Looking to buy a new Yamaha 4 stroke to hang on the back.

Any suggestions or personal experience on what size? The hull is rated for 90 horse max but I know that's more than I want or need. Heaviest load in the boat would be 4 guys and gear during duck season. Spring crappie fishing and a little joy riding will be all the boat gets used for.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before. Just thought I'd start my own thread. Thanks in advance for any replies

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

90hp!

Wareagle1 likes this.
  3. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

70hp Yamaha 4stk, with a 6" set back jack plate:tu

Rubberhead likes this.
  4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

90hp seeing as once the foam gets saturated it will weigh even more.

5. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

90 hp but if your budget can't afford it get the biggest motor you can afford. You will never be mad you had too much motor but you will be if you don't have enough.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I run a 40 2 stroke Tiller on mine. It has lots of torq and runs about 28 or so top end. A 50 might have been better but I'm not often in a race.

My foam(under the floor) may have been put in at the dealer but in 13 years it has not soaked up any water.

I have had it out twice to replace bolts etc on the seat bases.

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

The handful of them that I have put a MM on have all been saturated under the floor near the transom. It could be the way the dealership stored them though.

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Mine has been stored outside and uncovered for 13 years.

But I have not cut into the back deck to check the foam. It could be but I can't say that I have noticed any slower performance.

9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

A buddy has one with a 50 or 60 on it. Yamaha. It does the job even fully loaded. I use to have a 1756 lowe that I ran a 40 tiller on. It did need just a little more umph when loaded with 4 guys, boat blind and dog, decoys. It was a tunnel hull which when it did pop on plane went just fine fully loaded but with that weight it didn,t jump out quick.

10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

I’ve got an 18’ Ldsv an run a 90 merc on mine. I run around 40 mph give or take.