Mountain Opener

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by DesertWings, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

How many of you fortunate hunters are planning on going North to the cooler climate for the upcoming opener? I do hope you all enjoy yourselves but would you post a couple pics for us that are stuck in the heat for a couple more weeks??? Enjoy and be safe!

2. Birdup

Birdup Moderator

Have fun at the circus guys. Remember, don't be the guy with 7 pintails,
    ID what you're shooting.

3. mr.smith

mr.smith Senior Refuge Member

Did anybody get out today? Haven't heard any good reports. Going to give it a try in the morning.

4. DesertWings

Haven't even heard of any quail reports? Maybe no one hunts anymore???

5. deadeyedick

deadeyedick Senior Refuge Member

It was a typical Az duck hunt.

6. Kurt

Kurt Senior Refuge Member

I went up to the lakes by Flagstaff with Ron. Scott was considering coming, but didn't make it. Got up there last Wednesday and left yesterday morning. The weather was beautiful the whole time. We scouted Mormon Thursday morning and there were a few birds but to get to where I wanted to hunt the walk was 0.9 miles on the GPS (we brought little boats, but it was too shallow to use them). In the afternoon we scouted ALL the other smaller lakes down the bumpy roads. Some had ducks, some didn't have a one. We later figured out they just fly from one lake to the other...

So as not to kill ole Ron with a one mile walk with blinds, deeks, and guns, we opted for hunting one the smaller lakes where we could park close to where we wanted to hunt. Friday morning started slowly and we didn't get any bird action for the first half hour, then some started coming in and we each got a bird. Now for the tough part for me to say.... Ron is the best shot and here's why.

My trusty 11-87 broke on the very first shot (yes, I very luckily killed a bird on the first shot). I left the water and went back in the trees to fix it and determined I needed a new part and the gun was done for the day. I cased it up and just planned to watch, call, and manage Remington the beast (he earlier did a nice retrieve on one of Ron's inflatable decoys...)

Ron felt sorry for me and asked me to hold his gun. When I did, he took off back to his truck and came back with his 410 over and under (yes, he actually had steel shot for it). I laughed at him and the bet turned out to be if he killed a duck in two shots or less, he was the best shot. Sure enough the old codger knocked down a gadwell in one shot and later took two more shots to knock down a pintail! Remington easily retrieved them both. The gun he gave me to use must have had a bent barrel, because I didn't hit another bird...

The action lasted less than an hour and I don't believe others hunting the lake were as fortunate as us - not many birds in the area. Friday morning turned out to be the only duck hunting we did in five days. We relaxed, squirrel hunted, fished, cut wood, and made nice meals the rest of the time (Shanna and Andy came up too). We checked out Mormon Saturday morning and saw way too many hunters and only heard a couple shots. We camped right on the road to Kinnikinick and it was unbelieveable how many duck hunters drove back and forth past us during the weekend. Lot of duck hunters for the little amount of water we have this year.

Any questions, let me know,

Kurt

7. Yuma Visitor

Yuma Visitor Senior Refuge Member

Thinking going to check out to the Salton Sea just to to get the kinks out of the boat put on a new carb . Desert Wings you are not going out ? Pat and I are planning to meet not so much to hunt but out try out new things we did to the boats this summer .

8. DesertWings

Looks like a slow opener...

Yuma Visitor...didn't make it out for the early season or even quail either...looked the Sea over as well as other spots...looks like the opener should be pretty good. What new toys for the boats???

9. Yuma Visitor

Yuma Visitor Senior Refuge Member

Pat has done a lot of stuff but it is classified he has not released exactly what LOL . I changed Carb . for a quicker reponse to get out of the mud . Will get serious after the first full moon in Nov. the Sea will shoot a good opener but with it having receeded so much it puts the blinds so close and so much traffic I will wait and leave the crowds alone .

10. DesertWings

Did you go to the Mincuni??? (sp) Was the best investment on my boat ever.

Like you, I'll let the crowd subside before going back over. Have a good season and give me a call when you guys make it over here.