Mouth Calls

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Wolfpack002, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Wolfpack002

Wolfpack002 Refuge Member

Has anybody had any success with mouth calls howling? I think it would be pretty cool to howl one in, but not sure how realistic it is? I'm pretty green when it comes to varmint hunting.

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

yes, but howls are tricky and certain materials will bring certain benefits.

diaphragm howlers are the most realistic and you can do about anything with them, from kitten to angry mamma kitty growl to fawn in distress to good ole boy checking to see who's in his territory with a deep lone howl.

single reed are generally quieter, higher in pitch, but I'd really switch that to say can't really do deep howls with the proper backbone.

other end of that would be a four reed, this will take a lot of air and get to wolf howl levels.

So reason and logic would say start with a single reed and progress to more, but I'd say start with a double.

now you can also get great great realism with a latex howler from ELK Inc. These aren't the easiest to keep consistent and run well, but get it right and they do their job, I have their power howler and yote howler, I locate with them and I've called in multiple dogs doing a serenade style several howls/yips/coyotes. But these are really howlers, they'll bark, the distress like rabbit and deer just isn't really practical on them.

open reed howlers, I run multiple, some are cow horn, some are plastic, some are wood. I do say it's worth it to get a custom cow horn howler, they're $30-$50, I run NFK, owner is Will Horting, he will go out of his way to make you happy. I asked him for heavier blowing reeds for my latest howler and I think he sent me 20 different reeds to try.
    now these open reeds vary in size, something 12" long is going to want to howl like a wolf and wont want to do distress. Something 2" long will howl like a pup and do many distress calls.

open reeds are the easiest to pick out as calls vs real animals, also the easiest to use and the loudest, and volume can be huge, which is why I have all of these varieties. I locate the most with open reeds

3. Wolfpack002

Wolfpack002 Refuge Member

great info! thanks! sounds like I need to do some practicing!

4. Lonehowl

Lonehowl New Member

Mouth calls are excellent and realistic, very versitile calls. With a bit of practice, and the right call for you, you will have no problem howling and getting responses.
    I use both mouth calls and open reed howlers with great success. You can even use your own voice and coyotes will respond.

[​IMG]014 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

[​IMG]008 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

5. Mark Brendemuehl

Mark Brendemuehl Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Mouth calls work great. I usually run them in conjunction with an E-caller. Haven't had any issues with being able to do this, but not that, etc. Works fine.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member