Moving to AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by brademan76, Jan 23, 2015.

1. brademan76

brademan76 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm moving to AZ (PHX/Mesa) early this summer. Being from NE I hunt a lot of waterfowl, upland and big game. I know waterfowl will be a far cry from what I see here, but can anyone point me in the right direction to finding information? What is the standard waterfowl hunt format in AZ and how are success rates? How many birds push that far south? Is there success to be had in the greater AZ area, or do you need to go closer to Utah or further West toward CA?

Here there is a decent amount of public land and its always first come first served.

Any other good state hunting forums? I'm sure the AZ Fish & Game has some useful info, but since I'm a part of the fuge forums I figured I'd touch base here.

Thanks for any information you'd care to share!:tu

2. timbutcher

timbutcher Senior Refuge Member

Great state to shoot mixed bags of divers and puddle ducks.
    The most concentrated sets of birds migrate along the colorado river
    Second the northern plateau of Arizona hold birds in small pothole tanks and some natural lakes.
    Some people might shoot in a season what you could do in a weekend
    What we have is first class elk, deer and antelope

3. AZDUCKMAN

AZDUCKMAN Refuge Member

Watch salt lake ut weather, this is what i do. If its freezing we are going to get a big push in migration, even though we have 100 days of duck season it doesn't get good till december, but if you work hard enough can scratch out some good hunts in the early season, youre not going to see the numbers you are use to but will do find... I bagged my blind shot 223 birds this season most of these bird didnt come till mid december 28 hunt days for us 2 man blind... Good luck and welcome to the hardest state to hunt
    waterfowl...

4. brademan76

brademan76 New Member

I appreciate the info and encouragement! Sounds like there will be lots to learn. Don't be surprised if I post here looking for a partner as it doesn't sound like I'll find too many waterfowl too easily during my usual daily activities.

5. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

You have no idea:l