Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Moving to Boise

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by wanapasaki, Jan 8, 2018.

1. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

Howdy guys
    I'm moving to Boise come June and was just wondering about the hunting in the area? It looks like there are endless opportunities throughout the region for public land hunting which is primarily what I do. How are the winters there? Do they usually show up pretty early, and you're breaking ice for the majority of the season or? I'll probably invest in a boat for the river when I get there, and do a lot of scouting up until the season kicks off. Do you guys get specks in this area often? I've hunted 22 years for waterfowl, have all my own gear, my own dogs, and minus extravagant field spreads. I'm one of the few hunters that hunt the east side of the sierras for ducks as I stay away from the large crowds in the central valley. I'm used to hunting ducks in subzero weather and heavy storms so weather is no hindrance for me. Just curious about your guys season, and looking for a potential hunting partner. Maybe some people I can shoot trap and fish with during the off season. Any information helps. Thanks in advance!

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I am up north in the Panhandle, not the Boise / Southern Idaho / Treasure Valley area. I can tell you that if you want to hunt within reasonable distance of Boise you are gonna need a boat. We use them up here in the Panhandle, too. There are walk-in opportunities but a boat will expand your horizons / options greatly.

I don't know about down south, but we get no specks up here and I am pretty sure that is the case in Southern Idaho. Ditto for snows. You need to sell your speck dekes and buy honker decoys.

Do yourself a favor and do like I did when I moved here from California in the 90s. Enjoy the politics, attitudes and environment of your new home and don't try to turn it into what you left. I doubt that is what you intend to do with your move, but you will endear yourself to Idahoans if you leave Cali ways in Cali. Just sayin'.

Welcome to Idaho.

sdkidaho and wanapasaki like this.
  3. wanapasaki

There’s a motive behind my move Hayden. I appreciate the advice. Thanks!!

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Great advice fro HaydenHunter. Looks like you are a huntin-fool, you should fit right in. Sorry, I'm no help as I'm on the other side of the state, but it sounds like you're on the right path. There will inevitably be some guys from over there chime in.

Look forward to seeing your hunting pictures. We need a better shot of your avatar photo - looks like a nice bear.

wanapasaki likes this.
  5. wanapasaki

If I didn't hunt or fish sdkiaho, I really don't know what I would do with myself. I'll miss the big game fishing out here, but its too much $$ that I could use to invest in my field spreads :lI'm no stranger to travel, as my closest duck spot is 2.5 hours away, so maybe we can meet up sometime and hunt. The bear was nothing out of the norm. She was 250 lbs. Just the right size before they load down with parasites. She was also cinnamon and usually I find the black ones so I had her rugged out. We got a nice bull elk in durango this year as well on my buddies ranch. Looking forward to talking and meeting with you guys
    profile.jpg
    IMG_3585.JPG

6. IDSLAYER

IDSLAYER Refuge Member

The speck hunting in the Boise area is great.

wanapasaki likes this.
  7. wanapasaki

I read this but others have told me there are no specks?

8. IDSLAYER

IDSLAYER Refuge Member

There are a ton loads of specks and snows in the Boise area. Co-Owner of Replica Decoys, Jeff Crow lives in the area and has posted many photo's of his hunts on his facebook page.

wanapasaki likes this.
  9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

See, there you go. My advice on what birds are or aren't in Southern Idaho was wrong. I love specks. Taste better than honkers.

wanapasaki likes this.
  10. wanapasaki

Just head on down my way and we will figure it out :l