moving to medford

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by wanapasaki, Dec 6, 2017.

1. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

How hunter friendly is the area? I'll be navigating 24/7, a few months out before duck season starts next season. A lot of public land opportunities? And I imagine the migration corridor is pretty heavy in this area? Any positive insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Medford is not a duck Mecca. Some local stuff, but not much. Get a drfit boat and a hunting partner and it'll open up the river some. You'll be traveling to find birds.

3. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

Klamath lake/marsh area is just an hour plus drive east.
    But as Gene said, not much in Medford.

wanapasaki likes this.
  4. wanapasaki

Thanks! An hour is a big improvement from my current situation

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We travel regularly to stay with relatives in Medford. I have buddies with a hunting property in the Klamath Basin and I head over the hill to hunt there. Like others have said, it's an hour to hour and a half drive depending on weather. You can run into some snowy roads on the way, so best to have 4wd and know how to drive in snow. K Falls is almost a mile high in elevation so the small ponds can freeze up early but the big water on Klamath Lake stays open, I believe. Like anywhere, you have to learn the area to be successful there. It is still a decent flyway, although water management in recent years has, IMO, lessened the amount of birds that will stop in this area.

6. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

You should resign to the fact that you will be buying a CA and an OR license and be glad for the options that will give you. When I hunted the K Basin years back from here I'd get an OR non-res just to be able to hunt the OR side of the NWR's in the pm, as the CA side of the NWR's were mornings only. You're also less than two hours from the coast, which has some unique public opportunities.

And besides waterfowl: there are grouse, bandtails, quail and chukars in the hills depending which direction you go, and some pheasants in the Basin. Good fishing around there, including salmon and steelhead. So while Medford is not a prime spot for anything, it is close enough to lots of opportunities if you are willing to go find them.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

The trade off in the Medford area is Grouse, Black tail Deer, Bear, Elk, Turkey, Cougar. 3 bear tags a year, 365 day Cougar hunting, 6 week deer season, over the counter Deer,Elk tag's.

wanapasaki likes this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

wanapasaki likes this.
  9. wanapasaki

This is awesome news. Thanks for the insight! Can we hunt with hounds up there? If so it may be time to reinvest in them. Sounds like I will really enjoy this area and I bet I will find a few little duck holes in close vicinity. I'm glad at managing that lol. Thanks!

10. wanapasaki