mowing tall grasses now or later?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by kgingerich, Aug 11, 2017.

1. kgingerich

kgingerich New Member

We have a high spot which only gets maybe 3-6 inches under water and it currently has 5 foot tall grasses on it with mature seed heads. With 2 1/2 months left before we flood I'm wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and mow it now and see if it'll regrow a head on it at a lower height so the ducks will use it. Or maybe just let it stay tall and then mow it all to the ground right before flooding.

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Mowed our duck lanes this week. It is a little early but we plan to put some water on for Teal later this month. Our farmer was kind enough to knock this out for us while he was in the area doing some ditch mowing etc.
    IMG952271.jpg

JFG likes this.
  3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Kgingerich, what type of grass do you have and how thick is it? If it's a heavy stemed/leaf grass and at 5' tall, chances are the clippings will matte and be too thick to allow much, if any re growth. And I seriously doubt any that did would actually produce another seed head. So I'm not sure if it would matter much to cut now or later unless you were to let clippings dry out, then burn to give better exposure to seeds.

What you could do is to cut some now and some later to see what actually works best for your situation.

Albino Woodie likes this.