Mud Buddy 5500

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by GoPackers, Sep 19, 2017.

1. GoPackers

GoPackers Refuge Member

I need anyone's help out there who has had issues with the now discontinued Mud Buddy 5500 mud motor. My duck hunting buddy in Alberta has had numerous issues with his since he bought it new directly from MB 4 years ago. It's logged more hours in the small engine repair shop than he's had running it out hunting, and has had minimal cooperation from MB. He is in the process of writing to the CEO, and is seeking out similar incidences people have experienced in order to support his case, and get some kind of compensation from MB.

Thank you for your assistance!

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

What issues are you having? Are they actually a MB Frame problem or a Briggs Vanguard problem? The souped up factory motors seem to have more problems than the stock motors because of the higher RPM they turn to get the HP. Briggs BB Vanguard blocks have a bad reputation for failing when ran above their designed stock RPM. Although the 5500 has all the MB performance internal parts, it still is a stock Briggs block. Which is its weakest link. Over the years I have seen some really bad block failures. Mostly caused by operator error and lack of basic maintenance. Good luck with any compensation from MB concerning Briggs motor issues. They warrant the performance motors for 6 months for a reason. IMO

BD7000 likes this.
  3. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

X2 Whats going on with it

4. GoPackers

GoPackers Refuge Member

Sorry for the delayed response, been hunting in Alberta. The issues are numerous: linkage issues, leaking oil in multiple spots, bolts connecting the motor from the lower unit loosening, oil gasket leaks, in neutral when starting the engine the prop engages and turns, cracked lower unit, cracked engine parts, clutch issues. He spent $1,340 in repairs last week, and is hoping these repairs get him thru the season, then supposedly Vanguard is coming out with a true 45 in the spring.

5. Olefart

We have worked on every issue you have mentioned. The oil leakage, loose bolts, crank case gasket leaks,and cracks, clutch dragging, electrical wiring to clutch. On my personal motor I usually spend a least and hr. of preventive maintenance time for every 5 hrs of run time. The Briggs Vanguard motor was never designed to put up with the stress in a mud motor application. Hitting stuff under water at speed with a heavily loaded boat puts a serious strain on aluminum motor block parts, and cast aluminum out drive parts. After 14 yrs of running and working on all different brands of MMs, we've learned little bit on what their limitations are and how operate and maintain them, for longevity. No mater what Briggs comes out with, its still a big lawn mower motor used in a bad environment. IMO

6. GoPackers

GoPackers Refuge Member

Thank you Olefart! What if any have you heard about the new Boss Hoss 75?

7. Olefart

Havn't seen one in person, just read about them on forum. Might be a better option than a Briggs powered motor. For bigger rigs it would be a great power. Though a bit pricy and heavy.

8. GoPackers

GoPackers Refuge Member

Yup me neither, just watched the you tube video, and went to their website and looked at the specs. There is a dealer in Ft McMurray that is carrying them so my buddy in Alberta would have a source, but he'd have to get a bigger boat than his 1760 Phowler.

9. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I'm interested in what you consider routine maintenance. I just got my first MB surface drive, and would like to keep up with whatever maintenance I can.

Thanks for any help.

10. Olefart

Every five hrs or so, I check index marks on every bolt on Crankcase cover, Check bolts on belt housing, Check belt tension, Check prop shaft and prop, Check muffler flange bolts. Check for moisture or grease in belt housing. Every 25 Hrs I check valve lash, Change oil and filter. Every 50 hrs I change water separator filter, Grease prop shaft tube. Check Trim unit for leaks and transom clamp bushings. Treat gas tank every fill up with Marine Stabile. In my tool kit in boat I carry enough metric tools to tear motor down to Crank shaft, and carry a spare belt, starter motor, trim and clutch relays, circuit breakers, and switches. My motor has a carb, if it was an EFI I would check into a Dianostic program, lap top, spare fuel injectors and both low and high pressure fuel pumps Map sensors, EGR valve and fuses and relays For EFI. to add to my kit.