Mud Motor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by bang you'r dead, Jan 19, 2013.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

This would be typical for 95% of my hunting. I have 3 other boats for fishing, and I can always toss a 25 on the back if I use this one for fishing as well. I mainly hunt the local marshes, which have just enough vegation to make life miserable with an outboard. To get where the birds are, 3-6" of water is normal. We used an 18' beavertail with a 36 GT last year to get into it with few problems. The only times we got hung up was going over floating bog, but everybody gets stuck on that.

The reason I am asking for advice, is that there are literally no dealers up here for mud motors, and I would probably have to order one in. I have gone with friends who have them, but my experience is limited.

There is water all around us , but this time of year it is 4' thick ice, so test drives are out. I did get some good experience in the beavertail 18' this year, and it was really impressive. We had 4 guys , a dog , a canoe, and all our gear in it and it still got up on plane and cruised at 18 mph.

With three guys and gear, it went around 24 mph. (pic below)

[​IMG]

This boat also had pods on it and it didn't seem to affect performance with the surface drive. More confusion for myself.

2. bang you'r dead

Here, we went for a ride today in the marsh....it looks a little different with 2-3 feet of snow over it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://youtu.be/5nub_qQc3Ss

3. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Take the boat out there and put it through it's paces. If it works under those conditions, it will sure work for duck hunting. :dv

4. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

I would never buy a boat less than 18' long again.
    Go to *** and keep eyes peeled in classifieds. Buying a new boat is almost foolish when you can get something like new for 2/3 the cost. I wouldn't buy a modded motor though. Only buy a motor if its stock or you personally know the guy.

5. bang you'r dead

I'm pretty sure what the *** represents, and it rhymes with M&M. I joined there, and I'm watching for rigs in the upper-midwest (which are rare on that forum), preferably in MN or ND, where I can get too within a day's drive. Every other boat I have was bought used , with exception of my hunting kayak.

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hey there Bang em,
    I've got lots of different boats, & 4 are rigged with various longtail Beavertail motors. I sympathize with you trying to understand just what the heck to do
    MallardMisser does know his mudmotor rigs, no doubt about it. I bought one used Beavertail from him. Others have posted up information too. I'll give you my ten cents worth, though I surely don't know all that much, I'll give you some feedback from my experiences.

First off, an outboard is going to give you a lot better speed and ease of rigging your decoys. If you can get by with one, you're better off IMO.
    It sounds like you've got 'just enough vegetation to make an outboard a frustration to run'.

Knowing that, a shortail ---especially one with a reverse and neutral----is very handy, easy to maneuver and trailer/haul etc
    They're by far heavier and more expensive

The Longtails aren't generally quite as fast, a pain for rigging decoys but lighter and cheaper in cost to purchase and maintain.

For your situation, it sounds like you've already bought an Alumacraft 16' semiVee Jon boat? If you've bought the boat, then it is what it is and thaT WILL BE what you're going to rig up for your duckin' boat.

That rules out that Nestor Falls Beavertail rig----for $9.000
    That price seems too high, but price it out----I can give you the number to call Kevin at the main office here in Minnesota
    These rigs aren't cheap.

I've got almost all AlumaCraft boats----again, made here in Minnesota, but they're all ribbed on the bottom and not 'true mudboats', but they work OK for the mostpart, just not 'PERFECT' !
    I've got one fairly similar to the one you bought??----or is it just a boat your dealer has that you're considering to buy? One of mine is a 16' and I've got a 23hp Long Beavertail on it.
    I'm glad I don't have to go 5-6 miles each way with it because it's not fast

If you bought that 16' boat, I'd suggest that when you can afford it,
    buy the Beavertail PODS and have them welded onto the transom of your boat. This will help offset the weight of the mudmotor and the transom won't sit so low in the water.

As far as what motor to put on it, I'll say that a 27hp Longtail would be a pretty good bet for the money. If you have more money to spend, then go up to a 35 hp or even go to a Surface Drive if you can afford it.
    BUT, a 27 will do the job for you if money's tight.

I run 2 hunters and a lab & decoys in all of my mudmotor rigs, just a matter of how big the water is that we're hunting etc. The 16ft should be fine for you guys.
    I would NOT think of modifying the motor----IMO, it will decrease the reliablility, while increasing your speed. what's more important?
    Mudmotors and rigs aren't very available used down here either. Dealers are virtually non-existant, and I just have a good mechanic work on them----they're pretty straightforward(the longtails are)

OK, I just saw that you're THINKING of buying that Alumacraft from your dealer because it appears that you'll be getting a good deal. Maybe, but how much do they want for it?
    If we look at that as a base price, then start adding on some of the other costs you'll need,
    like a trailer, a mudmotor of some type, not to mention the PODS, camo painting, a blind etc?
    That may take it out of the equation and you should just go buy that nice BEAVERTAIL rig down in Nestor Falls. He needs to get rid of it within a month, he lives in the middle of nowhere, trying to sell it when it's -35 below and I think you could buy the whole rig very reasonable.

None of my longtail rigs are "Perfect'' in the eyes of true mudboat guys, that DO have the PERFECT rig-----BUT, mine have kept getting me there and back just fine for 10 years.
    and again, it depends on what you have to spend----spend more and you can increase the overall quality of your rig. Lots of choices, but start at the cost he'll sell you a bare boat.

Ringbill

7. 1448jonboat

1448jonboat New Member

Up until a year ago, I had a Beavertail blind just like the one in the photo. Beavertail makes a good blind, the main problem I found was that bar across the back makes operation of a longtail very awkward. It's difficult to lift the motor all the way out of the water because the handle hits that bar. It also makes it impossible to set the prop down into the boat when trailering. That bar also gets in the way any time you need to reach something in the very back of the boat. Even with a surface drive motor, the first thing I'd do is buy or make a blind along the lines of Mudbuddy's Shaggy blind, which doesn't have that darn bar that interferes with so much.

I run a 25 Kohler longtail on a 1660 and with just me, my dog, and hunting gear, it goes about 16 mph. Once I add a hunting partner, it slows down to 13 mph. If I add a second hunting partner, it slows down to about 10 mph. So depending on how much weight you carry, I think I'd go with a bigger engine than that 27 Kohler that is on that Beavertail boat. I have a 35 hp Mudbuddy surface drive on order because I wanted to get up on plane when carrying a heavy load, not so much because I want to get to my hunting spot faster, but because being higher up on plane allows me to run shallower water. I'm also looking forward to having neutral and reverse.

Here's a picture of my rig.

Attached Files:

8. bang you'r dead

Bought the beavertail for 8500. Priced out new with trailer and accessories at around $18,000, and this one was used maybe 1/2 a dozen times. Mechanic checked it over and no problems. Everything is greased and ready to go. I pick it up next week. Thanks for the input. W.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I run typically 12 miles round trip each hunt in a sheltered marsh, skinny water, hard bottom, little mud, plenty of veggies- my 27 HP LT shines on my 1648 mv grizzly hull. Not ideal but I manage close to 20 mph by myself; 17.5 mph two hunters and all the gear...my friend's shorty 35 on his 1652 hull is great in open water long runs but is not really an advantage where I run- he has had to take it for repairs almost every year unlike my reliable LT. It's a clear choice for the LT for me. For most areas, and dual purpose hunting/fishing, the SD is the ticket but it comes at a significantly greater initial price and maintenance costs as well. As great as the airboats are for running many areas here, I would never want one given the cost, repairs, safety concerns and less reliable operation. I know there are hovercraft mfg.'s up north and they make much sense for your year-long use but are an enormous cost.

10. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

8 years on my pro drive and all it's cost me is oil, filters and plugs.