Mud Motor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by bang you'r dead, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I think Bang illustrates the point- 4 boats in the yard, plus canoe and kayak. I think all of us waterfowlers would have several rigs if we could. There are times I wish I had a 14' rig with a small shortail motor, as many times as I hunt alone, to make hiding and pushing the boat around or retrieving dekes or launching or trailering that much easier. An airboat would be cool but they are harder to hide and kind of force you to jump out in waders which I'd rather not do- add to that the expense and maintenance. Some mudders I know have morphed to airboats because of the skinny conditions I've described.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I still have my 1436 with a 15 hp outboard that is a nice little boat for deeper marshes, and my 14' kayak for portaging and I've got a 16' squareback canoe and a 2 hp , and a 13' cedarstrip for ugly portages when I want to go in light. Even have a couple float tubes for the right places. I'm finally set up for the water the way I want it.

Now that's out of the way, its time to work on my snow geese spread.

3. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

:l:yes:l:D:dv

4. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

6 month old thread and that's the best you got?

5. luv2cmwork

luv2cmwork Senior Refuge Member

I know this post is old, but thought I would stick my head in here and see if anybody has any advice...at least I'm not hijacking it anymore :yes

I hunt hard dirt bottom. Anywhere from 4 foot or more, to 6" inches. No problem with an outboard in the deeper depths, but LOTS of weeds/grasses in the middle depths, to shallows. No mud, to speak of...at least not the "boggy" type mud I see on videos.

I'm looking at purchasing a complete rig. A 1648 rig, with a older (could be first generation maybe?) 23 hp Gatortail. It appears to be a flat bottom (no mod v front) jon boat.

Keeping in mind my environment of vegetation mostly, is the rig suitable? Also, any issues with the first Gator tails? This seems to be an older model.

Thanks!