MUD SKIPPER 16 HP

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy New Member

I am considering getting a Mud Skipper 16 HP kit and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. I know it's made in China, but the price is low enough to fit my budget. I am mainly hunting areas with lots of weeds and around a foot of water that conventional outboards have trouble with. Don't need to go 25 mph.

On another topic, Mangrove has a hydraulic trim feature. Looks like they took the cyclinder out of a floor jack and adapted it. How often do you need to adjust trim while running?

Third question. I have seen mud motors with a plate over the prop. What is the purpose of this plate, anti cavitation? Does it help with top speed?

Fourth and last question. What about prop size. Does bigger make better or do you reach a point of diminishing returns?

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

My thai kit sucks in weeds (cattails)...they wrap up around and foul the prop constantly...you get what you pay for. And if it works for you, great....this will be my last season with my thai kit...i'll be upgrading to the backwater swomp lite glider kit this winter.

I run a 1542 with a 670cc engine...but when i had my 420cc engine i started with, the 8" prop gave me the best performance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy New Member

Warrenwaterfowler - did you every try one of the GoDevil weed cutters?

4. warrenwaterfowler

No...never heard of them. I'll have to google that

5. Allinodad

Allinodad Senior Refuge Member

Unfortunately the weed cutter won't work with the Thai style props. I currently have a swamp runner with a 420 predator on an older 1548 Lowe jon boat. It does the job. Does it do it well? Really depends on the day. I have to agree with ww that they are not optimal for vegetation as you are constantly having to clear the prop by spinning the motor around so the tail is in the boat and cut off any thing wrapped around the prop, not necessarily for performance reasons, but if you don't you'll burn up the shaft bushing on the end, as it needs water flow to keep it cool. I understand the need to do things inexpensively sometimes, so if your budget is tight I say go for it, and think of it as a stop gap until you can scrape up the funds for a backwater which is what I am doing. As far as brands, unless mud skipper has stepped up their transom mount I would look at the swamp runner kits. They run about a hundred bucks more but are much more stout in my opinion. There are no trim adjustments with these style long tails by the way. You are correct about those plates over the prop being for cavitation but not for this style motor. I'll be keeping an eye on this post and chime in if I can be helpful. Good luck and whatever you do INSTALL A KILL SWITCH!

Constructeur likes this.
  6. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

As warren said, if you are able to afford the Backwater lite kit, it is one of the best out there!

7. warrenwaterfowler

I see you're in MI...depending on when you want to get a thai kit, i'd make you a sweet deal on mine. I'll be upgrading to a SWOMP lite glider kit for my 670cc predator. Will be ordering it this month and hope to be running it for hunting by november. You'd still need an engine. I've got a "med sized" kit that fits to the honda gx390 and or all the 420cc clones. It will also fit a predator 670cc.

It'll get you there and back...the prop will foul up in any weeds. And unless you can get dialed in just right...it's quite a workout to handle.

8. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy New Member

WW thanks for the comeback, but I'm looking at the 16 HP surface drive not the long tail. I've decided to go that way, just waiting to get enough money in a pile. My son says go ahead and waste your money, but I figure I can get out of it for around $1300. Might be the dumbest thing or the smartest, time will tell.

9. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy New Member

What I am trying to find out is if there is anybody who has bought one of the MudSkipper Surface Drives in the 16 HP size.

10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Check out Copperhead!