Mud Skipper Twister Questions

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

I am the new owner of a 16 HP Mus Skipper Twister. A guy bought it and never got around to putting it all together. The price was right for me.

Took it out today for the maiden voyage. I have it on a Sea Nymph 1542 and we estimated 15 mph wide open which is fine for getting to where we want to go. Did very well running thru lilly pads and mud. Had to bounce it a few times to clear the weeds, but we never stopped.

It has the anti cavitation plate and I wonder if I have it set right. At full throttle the motor wants to turn hard left. Can you rotate the plate slightly to offset this? I may have the trim set too deep, as the plate is under water when running. Where should it be?

Second question deals with the throttle. The thing came with a detented throttle that I changed up with a dirt bike throttle, which I like lots more. Engine is a Honda 420 clone. Doesn't seem to want to idle down. Am I missing a spring somewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Set your throttle cable at idle position first-not WOT...alot of the squeeze type levers don't have enough pull to move from idle to WOT. You may need to make some adjustments that give you more pull...on my old thai kit, i actually cut, bent, and welded back up the tiller handle by the lever so it had a slight bend that allowed the squeeze lever to travel more....if you have a heavier duty mortorcycle lever, you can put it in a vice and whack it with a mallet to straighten it out and give you more travel. 20170409_141940.jpg

3. Uncle Fuzzy

I have a twist type throttle. The cable is "slack". The throttle thingy doesn't go all the way to idle and what I assume is the return spring on the plate appears to be slack as well and it is not down to idle.

4. Uncle Fuzzy

How about wanting to take a hard left?

5. warrenwaterfowler

Don't know...not familier with mud skipper twister. I had a Beaverdam mudrunner thai kit and have since upgraded to a Back Water SWOMP.

6. warrenwaterfowler

Get a tachometer 1st so you can know what the RPMs really are...most of the honda gx390 clones (stock) idle at about 1800rpm and wot is about 3600. With the throttle cable completely disconnected from the engine, is it idling ok?

7. Uncle Fuzzy

OK. Got the throttle ting worked out. The problem was the return spring on the level. Repositioned it and now motor will idle down fine. In the manual it says to make sure propeller is aligned with center or boat to prevent sharp turning. Looks pretty close, but if I want to move it, do I move towards the turn, or away from it?

8. Uncle Fuzzy

OK, Solved the problem of wanting to turn left. Somewhere on a posting I found a recommendation to move the motor off center to "PORT", the direction if wants to go. Move it 1" and things straightened right out. Next problem is that I have a 15 degree slant on the stern which throws the motor mounting pin on a 15 degree angle. Result is when you swing it out to turn, the prop comes up and out of the water. Solution was to get an old motor bracket, mount a new pin in the old motor spot and now I can align the pin vertically. Test run will determine if it worked.

9. warrenwaterfowler

Could you shim it so it's level?

10. Uncle Fuzzy

I had thought about cutting a hardwood block on the 15 degree angle to bring it vertical, also thought about cutting the pin off and rewelding it at the correct angle to correct the problem. Also have thought about going back to Mud Skipper and see if they would make me one at the 15 degree angle. Been doing a lot of thinking.