Mud tires - Old school

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by JHerr, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

have any of you hands ever run Power King Premium traction, or the newer production Co-Op buckshots? I'm going old school. Which is better mileage wise and in the mud? Which are the better balanced tire? Thx.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Not much experience with the Power Kings but growing up dang near anyone with a mud tire was running Buckshots; if performance in the mud is what you're looking for they're tough to beat.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Don't expect Buckshots or Mud Kings (never ran Power Kings either) to wear well or long... They aren't made for it. Soft rubber. They won't balance like an A/T either. But if you have to be in some thick mud, they are where it's at! There are some called Gumbo Mudders too.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  4. JHerr

Thanks fellas. They're now making Co-ops again, that's probably what i'll go with. I need them to be a little road worthy though. The Power Kings I find online are just too expensive for a bias-ply tire IMO, plus there are a few reviews stating they're sometimes out of round and/or impossible to balance. Although I run beads (airsoft pellets) in my current set of tires and that works great.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

HAHA! We used to do that to our dirt bikes. Didn't realize anyone did it to trucks, but I don't keep up with things like that.

6. JHerr

Yeah, bought some tires on amazon. SAMs wouldn't mount them so I mounted and balanced them myself. I've heard antifreeze works too. Thank you Jesus and al gore for the internet.