Mud

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by gadwall52, Oct 31, 2017.

1. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Sept 13 1986 pool 5 Cheyenne Bottoms 1pm . Wading back in to the levy i stepped in to a muck hole or quick sand, sunk to the tops of my hip boots. Could not move. Dad and soon to be brother in law that were already on the levy tossed me their buckets which i inverted and laid on to float out. Was due to rhe church at 3 pm to get married, barely made it.

2. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

gadwall52:

That's quite the deal. One for the ages. In present day, is your wife glad you made it out of the mud, does she wish you were still stuck in the mud, does she wish you would of sunk out of sight or is she so glad you made it out that she kisses your muddy boots in Thanks to God?

I don't know, it just kind of popped into my head.

3. gadwall52

Been with me thirty two years. Helps me train the dog. Goes hunting with me so yes I guess she's glad I made it out. Though she was kinda pissed I cut it so close that day.

JP and stevena198301 like this.
  4. radfordc

radfordc Senior Refuge Member

How much money you got? I'll cover anything you want to bet....and give 2:1 odds.

5. kansasducker

kansasducker Senior Refuge Member

September 1996. Tuttle Creek. Wife blazing trail into marsh and gets stuck, sinks to mid thigh in struggle. I approached and got stuck myself, although was able to get free, mostly by pushing her farther into the mud. Went back to truck and found 2x2 piece of plywood (something to displace mud for leverage to get out). Took it out to her, along with a long piece of wood and she was finally able to get free, after also digging muck bare handed for 20 minutes around her waders to get them out. Our 2nd child was born 9 months later..... Friends claim I took advantage of her when she was stuck in the mud. Would have been a good story ending, but didn't happen that way.

JP, stevena198301 and nick b like this.
  6. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

gadwall52:

That's excellent. Especially in this day and age. I wasn't trying to get personal. It was just a light hearted joke. Mine thinks I should just stay in the mud. I think.

kansasducker:

Another one for the ages. They could of put you on TV for a miracle baby.

7. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

About 10yrs ago at a spot we hunted several times before. Water had went down a foot and exposed about 100 yds of muck. Each step we sink to our ankles which was typical for this area. About 50yds out we both went straight to mid thigh. It got a little scary but then we used our decoy bags as leverage but that took about 20 minutes.

8. gadwall52

I knew that pan, i wasn't offended.

9. RCshooter12

RCshooter12 Senior Refuge Member

I bet I know which marsh that was

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Most of us have had similar experiences. Mine was on the Salton Sea in California's Imperial Valley about 25 years ago. I was crotch-deep in mud for about 10 minutes and for the middle four or five of those 10 minutes I was close to panic. Not fun.
    Pays to hunt with a buddy.