Mud

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by gadwall52, Oct 31, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Or if you’re some, the buddy pays to hunt with you.

2. Millertme

Millertme New Member

Had found a spot in southern Louisiana (via google maps) when I first moved down there. It looked to be about a 1/2-3/4 mile walk from the road and I though, "Heck, I can walk that easy. I have done it lots of times in Kansas." So I went to scout the spot a couple weeks before season started. As I began my walk I quickly realized this was nothing like walking in Kansas. The marsh grass was so thick it was taking an amazing amount of effort to walk through and this was with just waders on, no decoys/gun/chair. I eventually made it to my target but I was so gassed I knew this wouldn't be an option to actually hunt and was a little worried about getting back to the truck. Since I was here I might as well check out the little pool, right? Took one step in and, you guessed it, sunk to mid thigh. I knew there was only one thing to do at that point.....nothing. I literally just stood there for what seemed like an hour, was probably only 15-20 mins, not moving/resting. After awhile I started freeing myself slowly (was lucky I could actually reach the bank and use it for leverage) and made my way back out. After this episode I realized that I had not told the wife (or anyone else) exactly where I was going/when I would be back. I am lucky that I was able to free myself an get out and will never make that mistake again!

3. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Speaking of letting people know, I’ve made it a habit to send a Google Maps screenshot to my wife from whatever boat ramp that we launch from with anticipated spots/direction. Makes me feel a little better, especially when hunting alone.

Neck Collar likes this.
  4. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

Walked in a butt ton of shell decoy bags into a field at Marion Reservoir early one morning.... Turned out the ground was frozen that morning. The trip out about killed three of us with the boot sucking crappiest mud you ever seen with a 1/2 mile walk back to the truck. I was late to my son's birthday party that afternoon and no one cared I almost died. :l

wtrfwlr43 and Neck Collar like this.
  5. Millertme

Millertme New Member

I have done that death march in the mud as well...it is a whole other type of miserable. This was back when the limit was 2 geese, I can't imagine walking out with 6 now.

6. flathead6606

flathead6606 Refuge Member

Been there...passed up a pile of little geese to shoot big ones. Looked down at six of those big critters and thought. Huh ‍♂️ didn't think that through very well

wtrfwlr43 and twells like this.