Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Mule Deer/ Antelope

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by wildstreak, Sep 8, 2014.

1. wildstreak

wildstreak Senior Refuge Member

Looking to book a mule deer and/or antelope hunt. Any suggestions on states? Outfitters?

2. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

Really only two choices on states....wyoming and possibly colorado.

Most other states have tough draws for antelope.you might still be able to line up some landowner tuff for this year. Try monster muleys website for more info.

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

4. migr82az

migr82az Refuge Member

For Antelope.

For Mule Deer, If you hunt archery I'd give Arizona some serious consideration. If you only rifle hunt Arizona is still a top choice IMO but you'll have to wait out the draw cycle.

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Check out some of the Indian reservations. I know standing rock in ND/SD has a combo tag for that.

6. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

We hunted WY for both... Hunted Antelope around Lusk, WY and then went to Saratoga and hunted Medicine Bow Ntl Forest for Mule Deer... Antelope hunting was somewhat slow for the units (we had a combo unit tag) we had due to the die off from drought but I scored on a nice one and fiance' could of but he was wanting to get on the Mule Deer hunt ASAP...
    He ended up with a 4x4 Mule Deer and I got a nice Antelope... 2 weeks of hard hunting with leftover tags purchased due to us not drawing.

:)

7. RNTquackaholic

RNTquackaholic Elite Refuge Member

Wyoming. Go with Toby Johnson out of Big Horn. I can get you his #. Awesome guide, very good, and he's hunted all over the world.
    He has lots of SCI trophies from around the globe, very knowledgeable guy and excellent hunter. Prices aren't bad. Antelope was 1500 plus license. 3 days, full guided, trophy care and food/lodge.

8. Peter Rickard

Peter Rickard New Member

Dear Wildstreak & RNTquackaholic, forget about Toby Johnson out of big horn mountain outfitters WY, he is not your man, Ive hunted with him before and frankly Im surprised he is still licensed in Wyoming

There is not enough guides to handle the hunters in camp & frankly too many wildlife violations just to mention a few problems.......... that is all that needs to be said & I will leave it at that.......

I can personally vouch for another outfitter in Wyoming & Colorado, Wynn Condict, he runs:- Wycon Safari Inc. Saratoga, Wyoming, Wynn Condict, (307) 327-5502.
    BE SURE TO ASK FOR DAN FOX as your guide...............
    Dan is retired ex-highway patrol, he is a great guide & a real nice guy

9. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

If you are thinking WY for antelope, do yourself a favor and buy a preference point now (you have until Sep 30).

It will probably get easier to draw a tag with the better water conditions.

You can get a general tag for mule deer without preference points most years. Some of the limited quota tags take quite a while to draw.

Don't worry about a guide. Plenty of public land. Keep in mind corner hoping (crossing from one piece of public to another where the corners meet is not legal). Mostly affects the "checkerboard" of BLM in the SW part of the state.

10. RNTquackaholic

RNTquackaholic Elite Refuge Member

Peter what is the deal with Toby?? We read tons of great reviews, and went on a hunt and didn't have an issue. Shot some very good antelope. 80".