My Daddy's Battling Cancer

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by DrakeDuster01, Dec 20, 2015.

1. DrakeDuster01

DrakeDuster01 Elite Refuge Member

My Dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He and my mom are surviving on a fixed income. Many people have come together to get a benefit fundraiser going to help my family with expenses for dad's treatment and beyond. Along with a great meal, there will be several custom turkey and duck calls, a Maryland goose hunt, Microtech knives, 2 Florida turkey hunts, a CVA muzzleloader, a Stihl chainsaw, a weekend hog hunt and so much more. We are adding prizes almost daily as more supporters are donating items. Please consider purchasing tickets and attending the banquet for a great cause. I'm attaching the write-up and flier from the MyFloridaHunter.com and MyFloridaHunter FaceBook page.

[​IMG]

I’m sorry to even have to write this. One of our own, Ed Hilbrant, has been diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic cancer. Ed has been a huge help in the community of hunters in Florida for many, many years. Ed was on the Phil Donahue show in 1988 supporting youth hunts and hunters rights in Florida. He was a meteorologist in the Navy from 1967 to 1971 while mostly being stationed in Washington, DC. He also spent a winter in Antarctica at the south pole in operation "Deep Freeze." He was very involved with local Little League baseball and Pop Warner football programs. He established an athletic association in an area where there wasn't one. He coached for each of his children's teams (3 of them, Dennis, Paul and Carol) while still making time to get them out on the lake or into the woods most every weekend. His son, Paul, introduced him to waterfowling about 10 years ago and despite his poor wingshooting skills, he's been an avid duck and goose hunter since. He was along for his grandson’s first hunt and it marked the first time three generations of Hilbrants had ever taken to the field together. He still gets out in the woods as often as his health allows. I was honored to be able to hunt with him last weekend.

Ed has been giving and giving his whole life to his friends, family, Florida hunters and his country and its time that he is Honored for all the great things he has done. This banquet is to help Ed and his family in this horrific time of need. It is times like this when we need to unite and step up to the plate and help a brother hunter and his family. Seats are limited, so buy yours today! We have had an outpouring of support by local/far businesses for items to be raffled off. We will be giving away door prizes every 15 min. I will try to get a finalized list, however things are coming in pretty much daily. Thank you all for your support in advance. God Bless, shoot straight and please have the Hilbrant family in your prayers. Feb. 6th 2016. This is one event you do not want to miss. Please visit our facebook page for more details.

2. DrakeDuster01

We were blessed last weekend to have Dad feeling well enough to make it out to the woods with my son Noah, Kenny Banaciski of MyFloridaHunter and me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to hear about your father. Looks like you guys have a great relationship and I am sure have made some great memories.

DrakeDuster01 likes this.
  4. DrakeDuster01

Thank you Jack. If you don't mind, willbyou please spread news of this banquet around your circle of friends in south Florida? It will be well worth the drive to New Port Richey to attend.

5. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

I'm trying to see if we can come. If at all possible we will be there!

Sent from an small phone using fat fingers

6. DrakeDuster01

Awesome Jack! I would love to see you there. Merry Christmas my friend.

7. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

Hey Jack, not to put you on the spot (but I guess I am anyway ;)) how about donating a decoy to the event?

8. DrakeDuster01

For any coming to the banquet, you can have a shot at winning one of Huntmstr's (Rebel Yelp Outfitters) gorgeous custom turkey or duck calls!

[​IMG]

9. DrakeDuster01

My "brother from another mother" Jeremy Arntzen just hit the jackpot and secured some awesome donations for Dad's banquet. We've just added some Strike-Zone Fishing gift cards (strike-zonefishing.com), some Flounder Pounder (flounderpounderjax.com) gear, a 3 hour inshore charter from Right Spot Charters (rightspotcharters.com), & some gift cards from Seafood Kitchen on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville (https://m.facebook.com/Seafood-Kitchen-306601002401/)!!! This event keeps getting bigger and better.

10. DrakeDuster01

Dad's benefit banquet is quickly approaching! There will be loads of awesome outdoors related prizes awarded. Call Kenny or me today to get your tickets. Contact info is at the bottom of the flier (above). Thank you all for taking the time to read my Dad's story.