My duck season ended today..................

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Matt Barnard, Nov 22, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

That means at least 12 hunters in the field. I get nervous with any more than two other guys in the field with guns, never mind a dozen (or more). Its fun when they pour in though. Keep banging and have fun!

2. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Wouldn't a family group have two adults in it? If so I would think the adults are pretty smart.

3. recker999

Heck there is one report of 23 guns on one hunt for snows killing over a 1000. I like you do not like to hunt with more than two other guns. Hunting with 23 or even 6 other guns would not be fun to me.

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

But when you have 3 to 6 kids in the group not to mention all the juvies who have lost one or both parents you end up with a really stupid flock of geese. It not exactly debatable because when numbers start coming in like this from decoy hunts it only happens for one reason and one reason alone and that is an overwhelming majority of juvenile geese. There is never a point in a bad hatch year where guys can day in and day out consistently smash the crap out of them even straight off the tundra let alone two months later. In the end the adults checked out the juvies stayed and the guys are shooting the ever-loving hell out of them. Hell there is one group that claimed 1,100 which would take an insane amount of guys so massive question marks on that one to say the least.

5. Dean Nelson

The simple fact is there is literally no reason for a limit in the fall at this point or just make it something ridiculous like a thousand. If guys ends up in a situation where they can light them up then they should be allowed to do it without having to worry about a limit can you imagine trying to keep track of a limit at that point? Sweet Jesus it gets hard enough when you have two guys and 20 birds!

BirdJ likes this.
  6. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Dean, in the fall there should be no limits on white geese. If we really want to try and control the numbers then there should be not limit. When the conservation season first started I had a day with 4 others ( 5 of us ) had a day of 417 in ND. The very next day in the same field we had 345. Those days are few and far between. I'm really not sure about a 1000 plus bird day but anything can happen.

7. recker999

Since I dont really hunt snow geese my question is I know this was an incredible hatch but what is happening on the breeding grounds? I know they started the spring season because they were eating the breeding grounds dry. It seems the populations are still really high but if the breeding grounds are in such bad shape how are they all surviving or maybe the breeding grounds improved. I am not sure.

8. Dean Nelson

The simple fact is the tundra is huge and they have wings and feet. As they depleted their original breeding grounds they simply started spreading to new areas with some moving up or down the coast and some leaving the salt marshes on the coast walking inland. Now that certainly doesn't help other birds and animals out but as for the snow geese there's nothing really to hold them back. The ones moving inland to the fresh water ponds don't have remotely the same effect as in the salt marshes and we are talking an area of well over a million square miles of ground much like this pic that covers over 80 miles by 80 miles itself. The one problem inland is the plants tend to be a little bit less nutritious so they have to eat more of the grass and this tends to have a negative effect on vole populations and that effects various Predator populations after that but needless to say I'm not going to worry too much about that. The one thing you will notice if you research much on the destruction caused by the snow geese is almost all the pictures are the same old ones from back in the 90s. 20171126_015723.jpg

BB-Shot likes this.
  9. Dean Nelson

Well here is a flock coming into a decoy spread this morning. Look at the blues and count how many have white heads...... you'll find the answer is 1! The lighting makes it hard to tell especially on the whites but watching as this and other flocks worked the decoy spread it was often very near 100% juvies coming in. I watched one group of around 100 birds and with a spotting scope and a couple minutes I was unable to find a single adult in the group. Hell if you look close you can see the edge of the roosting flock isn't white but is instead gray.

IMG_20171126_093739153.jpg

Screenshot_20171126-115142.jpg

BB-Shot likes this.
  10. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I concur a lot of juvies there is a lot of adult ones around here the smaller groups in the colony are the easy way to get a good ratio as they fly over young blue geese are a dead ringer been seeing many. Hunters will never lower the population mother nature is the only way for today’s standards with no tunes in the fall I like barking at them in the fall there always one that falls for it. Looks like a lot more season left lots of waterfowl going in every direction hard to tell what direction they want to go in this warm weather.

007.JPG

008.JPG