Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

My experiences with an Idaho hunting club

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by The Hajj, Feb 2, 2010.

1. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

I assume this is the club that focuses in the LL area? Just curious as I know a couple people that pay to play in there.

Thanks

2. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Yep.. I think the more annoying thing was that when I brought out these problems... there were insinuations that I was a "poor hunter"...:l:l
    and thats when I was told that certain places were given to groups based on whether (you now who) felt that that they were good enough hunters...:mad:

The irony was that I had been way more successful on public ground and private ground I had permission on...(more successful than the ones posting about how poor a hunter I was::doh)

And yep.. i did leave you a message... after your post on the Members forum I wanted to let you know that I agreed with you. Out of consideration for the other members in my group that do business in Boise.. I didn't want to start a public thing before talking to them.

Well.. I guess I can chalk up it up to a learning experience...

3. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

haha isn't it funny how we are all bad hunters according to other hunters. I wonder what a good hunter is anymore.:scratch

4. ZZROAD

ZZROAD Refuge Member

I was told the same thing in so many words, not enough decoys, calling not good enough and yet it works everywhere else public or private. The guys that were geting birds out of the pastures were using a Vortex and 4-5 other flashers with five Dozen full body mallards is that really hunting?

5. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

So how did this club work?

Did you fill out a list of your equipment, then add in your experiance level or something? Or did you have to go out once with these guys and get graded or what?

6. ZZROAD

ZZROAD Refuge Member

Just there way of justifing the "GOOD OLE BOY NETWORK", if I had Ten Thousand Dollars to spend on equipment there would be no use for a club.

7. Semper Fi

Semper Fi New Member

I?m a member of the previously mentioned, ?Club.? Sorry, I cannot share any scandalous information because my experience was absolutely favorable. Nonetheless, I have already heard this sad story on the club?s web site and find it remarkable that the same few think it necessary to pollute other decent sources with their personal agenda.

I joined because I wanted some options to my normal routines of waterfowling. I was at the same meetings and had the same tour as everyone else. I followed the program and did my best. I was a (new) first year member and had never met the club?s management before. What was briefed is basically what I got. I put in a request, was given a location the evening prior and ?HUNTED? the location the following morning. What more could I ask for. I stress ?HUNTED,? because I wasn?t looking for birds in a barrel. I had some slow hunts, but never experienced any nightmares and enjoyed even the slowest days afield.

I took advantage of my membership from the opening weekend to the final day of the season. I had to work hard to save this money, so I planned to get out and use it within ethical limits. I also hunted off of club property many times, because like most hunters, I?ve got some spots of my own, and I wanted to take advantage of them as well. I was not completely dependent on the club to provide the perfect setting. I wasn?t asking for an easy hunt and made it known I?d go anywhere, even if it meant layout blinds, versus constructed pits or blinds. I didn?t ask for early notifications, specific spots or anything outside of what was represented or offered. No stress, just wait for a phone call and go out the next morning and put your abilities to the test. The first month on the club was absolutely impressive to say the least and although there were a few lean weeks in mid season, we harvested plenty of birds and enjoyed every outing. It was a solid investment throughout the season. The properties were producing, the blinds were unmatched and I didn?t have to race anyone to a desirable location or a launch. No stress in the dark of the morning is worth money alone.

I witnessed one pit with water in it the entire year. I utilized the provided bucket and within a few minutes life was good. Matter of fact, this is the only pit that flooded the entire year club wide. What a hunt that turned out to be?.the field generously provided ducks and geese. I even had to break ice (say it isn?t so) at this gentlemen?s club once this year?.imagine that in Idaho. It paid off in the final 30 minutes of shooting light that day with a healthy clutch of greenheads. I?m glad we endured that long slow day because patience paid off.

I had no problem expressing my ups and downs with management. I did it face to face or over the phone, like most folks do. I genuinely felt like they were doing what was humanly possible to accommodate the countless desires of all members. Again, I never asked for anything special, understood management couldn?t make birds come to my spreads and I adjusted to the weather, patterns and assigned locations. I did take my ?HUNTS? off club property when necessary.

By the end of the season I was more than satisfied. I did not learn an expensive lesson as others claimed. Fields freeze, pits are not waterproof and birds go where they want to go. I knew that going in. I?ve never been ?buddy-buddy to get ahead? with anyone, nor do I plan to be, so any favoritism theory is grasping for an excuse. Waterfowlers definitely have a common thread and in most humble scenarios they will look after one another and stick together, but I?m not sure they are as tight a group (across the board) as some may suggest. I?d like to think we are a tight group, but every year we all see those who we?d chose to disassociate with for one reason or another. Like any group there are tiers. Some have higher standards, work harder at the trade and don?t take every opportunity to step on the other. ?There are those who are and those who wish they were.? The guys I share a blind with have never wished. They just try their best to get it done without complaint.

To reassure one poster, I seriously doubt the proprietors of this "club" screwed themselves over in the reputation department. They have worked hard to give members a good club. Is it perfect???? What is??? Then again, the Marine Corps wasn?t everything the recruiter told me it would be and I still found it bountiful and fulfilling for 22+ years. Maybe I?m just not too hard to please, but the handful of members I know personally are right where they want to be. Some have been in the club for 5 years. They make no excuses and hunt with a passion. They?re coming back next year and so will I. It was an excellent season and I thought I got plenty of bang for my buck.

There are always a dozen sides to every story. I?m not looking for a SINGLE response, nor am I trying to recruit members or incite those who already have enough issues to write about. In fact, just put this opinion in your pocket and carry on with best wishes. I?ve only looked at this site a few times and the men who share this page seem ultra worthy of another point of view. I won?t inundate you with post after post and I genuinely wish each member success in the upcoming season. You?re all waterfowlers, so take it for what it?s worth. I appreciate being recommended to the club by a great hunter and good friend.

Semper Fi,
    Campbell

8. The Hajj

The Hajj Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Mr. Campbell,

I am happy to learn that you had a successful and satisfying hunting season with the club. I was not able to hunt the early season, so I may have missed out on some good shoots, but my time is limited. The fact that I cannot hunt every week was a major factor in joining the club. I was told the blind locations would be scouted and we would be put in productive spots. Our experiences went absolutely contrary to the information provided by the club.

Why do you need to characterize my post as scandalous? I made every effort to keep the information factual, not personal. Nobody can claim that I have insulted or libeled any one person or any company. There is no hidden agenda behind my post. It was posted to inform people, not attack them.

I spoke to the management via telephone many times before I ever posted on the club's forum. My concerns were not addressed, so I decided to see if my experiences were being shared by other members. From the replies I received, it became obvious that I was not alone.

My waterfowl hunting skills are top notch and my equipment is the absolute best. I have over 30 years waterfowl hunting experience and have hunted both coasts and many places in between. I have also hunted in many other countries. This information is not offered in arrogance. I am simply pointing out to you that I am not some newcomer to the sport.

Again, I'm sorry that you described my post as a "sad story" because it is not. I hold no grudges nor am I angry. The truth is sometimes hard to handle.

I wish you well in your future with the club.

The Hajj

9. IdaHowitzer

IdaHowitzer Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the refuge :nutz

10. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

While I have no dog in the hunt nor ever will living on the other side of the state, I always like to hear the other side of the story. However, I do find it just a little curious that this positive post comes from the very first post ever. Certainly I believe they are telling us their experiences but just makes me wonder if there is some other agenda at work here?