Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

My experiences with an Idaho hunting club

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by The Hajj, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ZZROAD

ZZROAD Refuge Member

My experiences the first year were great I shot the River Blind and the Timber and other great locations but this year was terrible. I think I will give the guy a break but next year if its good or bad please post how it turns out.

2. mallard14

mallard14 Senior Refuge Member

My thoughts exactly....to me this totally seems like "the club" found out this was posted and had someone post up there positive experience!

3. IdaHowitzer

IdaHowitzer Elite Refuge Member

Steve, I can certainly understand your questioning of a 'newb' poster. No outside agenda here.

I know Mr. Campbell as a personal friend, and a hunting partner. He lives by the phrase "Semper Fidelis" (Always Faithful) and although retired, still upholds the highest standards of a MARINE. If you are questioning the credibility of the statement because it is the first post on an account, I understand. I hope to clear things up by verifying the fact that this is indeed the expressed opinion of Mr. Campbell and is not the collective view or the agenda of the club we are all talking about.
    Many of you know where I stand on the matter as well.

Hopefully, this clears up any questions to the validity of his post.
    Respectfully
    Phil

4. BenWa

BenWa Banned

I agree...

5. The Hajj

The Hajj Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Guys,

Please try to show restraint in your posts and keep focused on the subject, not individuals. If the thread turns hostile it will be deleted or locked, and then the purpose of posting the information will be defeated.

I know it is tough to strongly disagree with someone and keep your posts civil. Believe me, my response to Mr. Campbell took a LONG time to write because I had to do a lot of editing before I felt comfortable about posting it.

Thanks to everyone,

Jeff

6. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

I too have no dog in this but I think we all must keep something in mind.

What is a successful good time to one is not always a successful good time to another.

Mr. Cambell may view a 10 bird shoot (Just a number no reason behind it) differently then say Mr. Hajj.

Noting that Mr. Hajj has traveled all over and experianced multiple hunting styles and such he probably expected a little more then say someone that comes from somewhere, where if you shoot 3 ducks in a week and its considered awesome.

Another thing I think needs looked at is hunting styles. I love to move and try new spots. If I joined something like this and got the same two spots all season I would not enjoy it.

So I beleive the purpose of my post is if this club works for you join it. If it does not don't. In the end I beleive the Hajj is just letting some of us know we need to check into it deeper if we are looking to join.

Again thank you everyone for posting there experiances.:tu

7. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Mr. Campbell..

First: let me thank you for providing the folks here an example of the attitude I experienced.

Now... I have not presented anything "scandalous". My experience is factual and genuine. I have not attacked anyone and quite frankly have not even posted the name of the particular club nor its managers.

I am glad that you felt you had a good experience. I am quite certain that others in the club felt that they had a good experience too.

It simply was not so in my case. As I already explained, I paid the money into the club because I wanted to be able to take my elderly father (70 years old) and my elderly cousin who is 80. not to mention my two kids.
    Layout blinds don't work well with folks with artificial hips.;)... My normal hunting requires a physical output, and has sufficient challenges to make taking elderly or children dangerous

I have over 25 years experience hunting. My equipment is also top notch and I hunt in several states and in other countries. So any attempt to imply that my experience was due to poor hunting ability or a failure to be willing "to put in some work" ... is totally baseless.

I also tried to square away my issues by face to face discussion, by phone and by email multiple times before EVER bringing my experience into public view. My concerns were met with the same degree of defensiveness and assumptions that you have displayed in your post.

I hope that you continue to have great seasons and enjoy your time in that club..

For me.. if i can have a better, less stressful and more successful hunt by breaking 100 yards of 2 inch ice the last weekend of the season at Trueblood..

Why should I be paying a semesters worth of college tuition to have a worse experience?

I merely post my experience to let other hunters know to be very clear on what they are getting into when the join a hunting club... ANY hunting club.

8. avid_outdoorsman

avid_outdoorsman Senior Refuge Member

Jeff,

First, thank you for the first post informing others of your experience with the club. You didn't necessarily have to take the time to do so.

Second, thank you for the post encouraging others to relay their experiences but not attack the inviduals posting their experiences. As you seemed to imply avoiding the personal attacks (especially if one is (or feels) attacked themselves) is hard but can be done.

I think discussion and even debate can be healthy and informative if done constructively.

~ Mike

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Somehow I doubt that. Unless he was able to register in record speed, he's probably been lurking here for a while, which is what his response would lead us to believe. Maybe things have changed as far as being able to get an account here, but I constantly hear about people trying to sign up and the process taking weeks, if not months to accomplish.

Yes, a single post count does make it look suspicious, but if post count indicated the worth of any individual... well lets just say that isn't always the case here at the Refuge.

10. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

well I don't bend either way on this issue, some people want and can spend the money others don't.... some have good hunts all season and some don't... but I have heard many horror stories about this club and many great stories, and seems the buddy buddy thing is an arrow in the right direction, oh and I think last time I checked there is a certain number of people in your groups? and it only takes one too be buddy buddy..... :eek:, no you didn't say that out loud..... please..... think (sempter fi)...... :rolleyes: but I was thinking about joining this group maybe next year..... so yea I would like too hear other experience's.... Jeff is a pretty good guy so I doubt his credibility..... sorry I didn't proof read my statement and took about 2 seconds to write... but i'm a dickhead......
    D-S