My favorite 22 rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 25, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I grew up in Ohio and squirrel hunting with a 22 rifle was considered to be good test of your shooting skills. I used to hunt with a neighbor man. Sometimes a Fox or Gray Squirrel would be high up in a beech tree notch with only a little of his head showing. The neighbor guy would say here kid, my eyes aren't so good you take the shot and he would hand me his rifle. It was a Model 61 Winchester pump. I was a very good shot and the iron sights on those Model 61's are second to none in my opinion. I would shoot and down would tumble a nice Squirrel for the table. Those Model 61's had a big following among my friends for shooting Squirrels and Raccoons treed by dogs. I hunted with these old guys with their Bluetick and Redbone coonhounds. Because I was a good shot I often had the honor of shooting down the Coons too because a clean shot in the head meant better less damage to the pelt. Because of their light weight and accuracy the 61 pump was a favorite.
    To me the Winchester 61 has such classic lines like the Model 12 pump shotgun. They were made back in the day when parts were machined and the guns were put together by skilled craftsmen. Action were tuned by filing and honing with hard stones.
    Winchester model 61's are a great addition to a gun collection. They breakdown into two parts by a simple thumb screw.
    Mine pictured below was made in 1956. I just completely disassembled it, going over all metal moving parts with OOOO steel wool dipped in a little Breakfree CLP, wiped and then lubed with FP10. Likewise the barrel but the Breakfree was followed by Corrosion X. on the outside.
    Rifling is in excellent condition for a gun that is over 60 years old. Even though my eyes ar not what they used to be I shoot it with the nice open sights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Fowler267 and ronaldo like this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Winchester 75 stuck over in the kitchen corner for varmit control. It's lines aren't what you would drool over but it's a fine rifle made in 1946. This particular rife has a 28" barrel and with CB longs, it is almost silent (quieter than a pellet rifle). Those pre 64 Winchesters are solid pieces of workmanship.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

2X on the Win. I grew up with a Mod 75 and it accounted for 100’s of varmits. After leaving home I found one I could afford and now it’s my only 22 rimfire rifle. Tack driver for sure.

4. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

Yep - I remember shooting the old Winchester pump 22's. Loved them. The resemblance between them and the model 42 (410) is considerable

5. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

I am another fan of the old Winchester .22s. Don't have a 61 but do have a 62A, a 75 and a 74 they all shoot like a rifle supposed too! looking for a 63 like I had when I was a kid. Congrats on your 61 shoot it and enjoy........ it is a fine rifle

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

741 REM. Target master

7. swamp gas

swamp gas Refuge Member

I have a 61. Love it have the serial# memorized. 37#$&. I believe 1937. By far my favorite rimfire.

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

9. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I shot the Win 61 as my dad owned that rifle. For me it shot high as I couldn't get my head low enough behind the rear sight. I'm out in WA state now and if I ever had a chance to hunt squirrels again I would like to use my Remington 540X. It's left over from my smallbore shooting days. I grew up in PA before Uncle Sam offered me foreign employment.

I wouldn't mind a chance to revisit eastern groundhog hunting as the results would be lots different from my younger days. Back then I considered 300 yards a real long shot. These days its sorta mid-range.

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member