My First Coyote Kill with my .25-06

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Bowhunter57, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

I love it when a plan comes together. Since the wind was fairly strong and steady, out of the south, I figured I'd come in towards the woods from the north. I sat on the ground at the outside corner of the woods, in the weeds. My FoxPro Wildfire and MOJO Critter were sitting 30 yards north of the woods, west of my location.

I turned on the FoxPro to rabbit distress, at 5:25 and at 5:26 a huge coyote bounced out of the woods. It stopped half way between the edge of the woods and the MOJO Critter, (left to right) and stood broadside, staring at the decoy.

I settled the crosshairs on its' shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The muzzle flash and recoil surprised me, as I watched the coyote get "bang/flopped" on the ground. I had a huge grin on my face that couldn't be wiped off for an hour. I had finally obtained some satisfaction in a kill that was long in the making. Yes, I'll be going back out for more! It turned out to be a 45 lb. female.

This was the first time out for the FoxPro and MOJO Critter and their performance was spectacular. It was also, my first coyote kill with my .25-06 and it too performed in excellent fashion.

[​IMG]

Bowhunter57

2. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

Good job. Nice to see a plan come together.

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Good job, you got to love the 2506 i have always had one a fantastic round looks like you have yours working fine. The sight picture with them is like watching TV :cool: What bulet were yu using i like 87 sierras for small deer and that is probably what i would use for coyote if i ever got to shoot any in my lifetime.

4. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

marsh fox,
    I'm using a 75gr. Hornady V-Max bullet with 46.0 gr. of IMR-4895 at 3400 f.p.s. and producing 1 1/4" groups at 200 yards.

Actually, I nearly missed this coyote, as she was at 45 yards. I aimed at the center of her body, just behind the shoulder and blew out a hole that you could put your fist inside of, at the bottom of her chest. I was too close and the bullet had not risen to the crosshair, yet. :no

I need to start carrying my shotgun for the shots that are inside 50 yards and leave the .25-06 sitting beside me on its' bipod...in case something thinks it's out of range. :dv

Bowhunter57

5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

good job! never shot the 2506 myself, but my 223, 243 and 308 have performed like that. bang flop :tu

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Love the 2506 it is a briliant calibre and only looses out when game gets real big and or real dangerous.;)

7. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

....very nice!

Little disappointed this section (varmint hunting) doesn't have more activity.

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I don't think many Stateside hunters realize just how fortunate they are to have predators like those yotes to hunt there, i could keep myself out of trouble for years at that sport awesome.

9. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

New Zealand is known for its fox hunting is it not?

10. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Sadly no :) got a ferret and possum problem like you would not believe, but no foxes, the Aussies got them in abundance and in the UK they are rife but not in New Zealand. Back in the uk at the Mo! I will do a post or two on here, i am out three nights a week when i am here.