My first decoyed Canadas

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Pastor, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Set up for ducks and put my 4 Canada shell decoys on the bank, the only Canada decoys I had at the time. First group of Canadas came working out of the fog and flared at the last moment. I decided that since no ducks were flying I would go pull the mojo. I no more than got back to my spot and I hear another group. I had no idea how to call Canada geese so I just tried to sound like what they were doing. I tried not to do to much. I could hear them pass above the fog and I thought they were gone but then I hear them coming back and they fell out of the fog right into my lap focused on those 4 shells. About 25 of them 20 yards out cupped and I by the grace of God dropped one with all three of my shots. I couldn't believe I got a triple on my first decoyed birds. What a rush that was. I truly have no idea if my calling helped but they were headed right to the decoys. I more than likely was just where they wanted to be but I'll never forget that morning. Now my spread is much larger and I've practiced a great deal on my calling but I have a ways to go for sure. Come on fall!!! 20170102_093026.jpeg 20170102_093645.jpg

2. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

Interesting that, as someone who has not decoyed geese before, you pulled the duck spinner because the ducks weren't flying. I have decoyed geese regularly for over 20 years and can tell you from experience that geese will flare off a spinner every time. I discovered that watching geese flare off live birds if ducks were working the same flock.
    Congrats on a great hunt!

3. Pastor

It was just something that I had heard other hunters say and I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to pull it. I've become a sponge when it comes to learning waterfowl. I know experience is the best teacher but good advice sure doesn't hurt!

darkvibe and goosenazi like this.
  4. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Getting good advice from a goose hunter is akin to finding an honest used car salesman.

pud123, brentbullets and Wareagle1 like this.
  5. Pastor

You gotta eat the meat and sit out the bones lol

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

That's awesome,now your life is ruined,you will want more decoys,More calls,etc.Although you did the right thing,we have killed a lot of geese with the spinner on.The important thing is you made a decision to think out of the box and it worked.

calstefanko likes this.
  7. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

Correction,
    "Other peoples" experience is the best teacher!
    Congrats and welcome to the club,

8. Specklebelly1973

Specklebelly1973 Senior Refuge Member

Great job and way to pay attention and not be reluctant to change to get results. Congratulations!

Pastor likes this.