Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

My first Gene pool mix up!

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Mr.Bones, Oct 26, 2007.

1. DUCKMENVT

DUCKMENVT Elite Refuge Member

6 in VT

2. khhunter

khhunter Senior Refuge Member

WOW! What a bird. I know I'd be putting it on the wall. Congrats.

3. mudmonkey

mudmonkey New Member

Absolutely awsome...better that doing Liz Hurley:tu

4. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

[​IMG]

5. DADAMS

DADAMS Senior Refuge Member

Bones, so I finally figured out what you really do while working...j/k will be a great addition to your collection

6. Ross R

Ross R Senior Refuge Member

7. jaseman22

jaseman22 Refuge Member

that is an awesome once in a lifetime bird - there is no way to compare a wild duck hybrid with any hatchery raised fish. Considering the different nesting habits of the two species and that this one made it too adulthood with perfect plumage is truly an amazing statistic in itself.

8. bigvig

bigvig Senior Refuge Member

I totally understand that, but those crosses can and do happen in the wild too. I was asking an honest question, got an honest, well explained answer and now I completely understand. Just never seen or heard of a cross breed being shot before this forum and I was honestly curious as to all the hype. Its really pretty cool now that I understand.

9. STINGER

STINGER Elite Refuge Member

atta boy Bones ................... :tu

10. Hauser

Hauser Senior Refuge Member

That's a shame you didn't hang that bird on the wall. A hybrid hen is a trophy among trophies, due to the fact that so few survive in the egg long enough to hatch.

For those interested, here's what I know about hybrid ducks: Like with other animals, the genes are carried in chromosomes. As well, each parent contibutes one set of chromosomes to the baby. Except in ducks and their sex-determining chromosomes. A male duck has two chromosomes (one from each parent) the female only one. That means that in the female, all of her gender-related genes are coming from only one parent. Either the wood duck or the mallard, in this case. If the offspring were a male, one defective gene from mom may be modified by a particularly strong one from dad, yeilding a more robust offspring. But with a female, the liklihood of birth defects is very high, since one bad gene from one parent is not modified or offset by the other parents superior genes. Now before this gets way too confusing, obviously, each parent is contributing to the hybrid, otherwise it wouldn't share attributes of each parent. It's the sex-determining genes that only come from one parent, in the event of a hen hybrid.

To distill this down into one sound-bite sentence, in order for a hybrid hen to survive into adulthood and be harvested by a hunter, a gazillion things have to go right, where only one thing needs to go wrong to inhibit such survival.