my homemade silos

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Abe, Jul 18, 2004.

1. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

Those are awesome....I dont think the geese will even know:tu :)

2. honknxs

honknxs Elite Refuge Member

The colors look good to me from what I can see. Think maybe it could use a little larger breast area but overall it looks pretty good. :tu

3. tyrone

tyrone Senior Refuge Member

job well done....:tu

4. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

I have made alot of homemade silo's and those look great!!!!

5. BLKLAB

BLKLAB Senior Refuge Member

Those look awsome what material did you use. I am interested in making some for myself.:tu

6. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Great job:tu

7. Abe

Abe Senior Refuge Member

Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback! I started painting last night, it's really time consuming. When I get them all painted and the stakes attached I will take a picture of the whole spread.

BLKLAB,
    I used 1" thick blue Styrofoam, it comes in 4'x8' sheets and I was able to cut 14-15 decoys out of each sheet. The stuff is really light and holds paint really well. I was a little concerned about how it would weather so I cut a 3'x3' piece, painted it, placed a stake on it and left it outside for a couple of weeks. The Styrofoam and paint held up fine.
    I found a really easy way to stake them. Cut some oak trim to the length and width you need and then glue the stake right to the decoy with Gorilla Glue. The Gorilla Glue is unbelievably strong, you don't have to worry about the stake breaking off the Styrofoam.

Thanks again for all your comments.

8. snowflake

snowflake Senior Refuge Member

It almost looks like a RealGoose outline to me;) ,Paint scheme looks pretty good,but i would fog the backs up a little with flat black to give em a little shadow effect,also some feather effects on the wing and side areas will really add realism to the over-all effect.Another thing to consider is how you are going to get the stakes in the ground when it is frozen or just dried out hard ground.Basically the colors look good,make sure the breast area on your feeders is exaggerated,and plenty of white on the back area.Those areas really show up in the field and add more visibility to your spread.The styrofoam probably will be light in weight,but also probably won't take the abuse of Gung-Ho goose hunting.The reason I say these things is because I make and sell sillouette deks,and have some that are over 8 yrs. old and still look great!Hopefully this will help you out some.

9. blacklabde

blacklabde Senior Refuge Member

Abe,
    What color brown did you use? I am about to cut out 3-4 dozen, and could use a hand with the color matching.

Thanks,
    Blacklabde

10. Quacker86

Quacker86 Refuge Member

where did you get the styrofoam? is that the same as the hard pink kind used for insulating basement walls?