My self experimant with the new Hevi-X and Federal Black Cloud

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BAYDOG, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

No. Any idea how I can become one?

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ You're doing a bang up job of auditioning.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Fair enough, but I don't recall EMI ever making a heavier than lead/steel product that was "round", other than Classic Doubles that is/was cast/formed. Maybe I'm wrong.

Drakehammer likes this.
  4. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

We need someone with a high speed camera to video different pellets flying at different ranges/velocities.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It's not a sharp edge even compared with perfectly spherical shot from other ammo makers. A sharp edge is a sharp edge, and these ain't that.

Drakehammer likes this.
  6. Drakehammer

Thanks JP! Its funny you said that because I don’t recall mentioning EMI a single time. I do not endorse EMI nor do I have any affiliation with EMI. Like many others on this forum, I think EMI advertising practices can be vague or misleading. Their quality control tolerances and practices may not be up to snuff based some forum posts I’ve read. And like all other companies, EMI’s high density shot prices are sickening.

On a positive note, I like EMI customer service. I have spoken with various people at EMI over the phone a handful of times and I always end up with the information I’m seeking. I also give EMI two-thumbs-up for delivering a pretty good selection of steel alternatives in an attempt to bridge the gap between price and performance. What other company is doing as much? R&D isn’t cheap nor is it foolproof. Products like Hevi-Metal, Hevi-X, Speedball, etc. will hang around only if hunters are successful with them in the field over time. If companies don’t adapt to the consumer, they eventually fail. EMI adapts. I don’t want another U.S. company to fail. And rest assured, if EMI develops the holy grail of duck loads where price and performance are both outstanding, every other ammo company will copy it. I know who I would try to buy from if at all possible.

Personally, if I can’t pick up high density 12 or 13cc/g EMI Hevi-Shot or any other brand of high density tungsten shot for under ~$2.50/shell, I don’t even consider buying it. This is becoming harder and harder to do. But I will never deny Hevi-Shot performance on the pattern board or in the field.

I’m a fan of high density Tungsten (W) products. I have no allegiance to any particular company.

95% of the time, I shoot the long discontinued Remington Wingmaster HD line (R.I.P.). It is what I am most familiar with. I started shooting RWHD when Remington started their $15/box rebate long ago, whenever that was. Over a period of time, I bought all the RWHD I could afford when they put it on sale at Dick’s. Combined with my Dick’s coupons and the $15/box Remington rebate, I figured I have ~$1.00-1.25 per shell after tax invested. (“Premium” steel like Black Cloud were running about $20/box at that time and I think Hevi-Metal came out shortly thereafter but never bought any back then.) For 10 years or more now, the only time I shoot anything different is out of curiosity for a different product.

I’m a shotshell and rifle reloader. Since my supply of RWHD won’t last forever, I have just started buying HW-13 shot from Bucks Run / RSI. I have tons of components on hand so I’m looking forward to going down that road soon. I figure this is my lowest price high-density alternative to steel right now.

Can I clarify anything else for ya?

7. Drakehammer

Agreed.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Wonder if you took a 6" X 6' X 3-4" thick piece of acrylic plate and filmed (from behind it) as a shot cloud struck it. A slow motion playing if this should reveal the time differences of individual pellets striking the plate and with chronograph of the velocity, should give a good picture of how long and shape of the shot cloud. FWIW.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Printed Circuit Impact sensor, I can't remember where I saw this but they are using them to test bullet impact on things like body armor. The sensor grid is hooked up to a computer that calculates energy/velocity and impact forces. Don't think it would take much to make something similar to counts hits and energy from shotgun pellets, plus make a computer generated pattern showing all of the information.

JP likes this.
  10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Really the Expert shot isn't that bad, not perfectly round but it is what it is Cast Shot and it does keep costs down.
    Compared to nice round plaited shot it looks bad but I've seen plenty of ducks killed with Experts.
    From left to right Expert 2's, Remington Plated 2's and RSI plated BBB shot, the plated shot is pretty :h
    looseshot.JPG