My self experimant with the new Hevi-X and Federal Black Cloud

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BAYDOG, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Not a bad idea, but I'd use polycarbonate rather than acrylic. About 1/4" thick should do it at 40 yards with shot smaller than about B's.

JP likes this.
  2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

J,

The sensor grid would make a lot of the rudimentary old school components unnecessary. Have no idea of the cost for this type of equipment. Another musing is in lieu of acrylic plate using a 6' X 6' slice of ballistic gelatin (thickness depending upon pellet size, velocity, distance, etc.) where it could be videoed ( from behind the gel) as it would be illuminating to see the when & where of individual pellets as they strike the gel. Wonder if this would dispel any of the notions long held by many about pattern shape and function?

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Honestly I wish I could remember where I saw or read about this setup, it looked expensive but they were testing military grade body armor so I imagine expense was not in the equation.
    If anything I believe accurate long range testing will throw quite a few of the retained energy charts/programs off with steel shot, what the charts/programs say just never has added up with in the field results once you get around the 50 yard mark.

JP likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's right Joe , is it that important to shoot quality steel shot at waterfowl distances ? Hunters who stay within themselves and shoot
    their birds over decoys surely don't see much difference with a dense enough pattern to assure a clean kill inside the 35 or 40 yd distance .
    I assume the only real difference with good round shinny steel shot is its ability to stay on its course of flight longer , making it better / easier
    for it to maintain a denser pattern at longer distances ( especially in windy conditions ) ? I assume reloaders , like us , choose the very best
    steel shot , is because we can , as we put the very best components ( we can buy ) into our loads for superior performance in the field . Not
    saying a lesser grade of steel shot in some factory loads don't work , it's that we think the birds deserve better and the color of our shells is
    very important ?